Chapter 5 - He Laughs Too Much

Hi! So...I guess my promise of not letting writing take over my life didn't last long! I couldn't help myself from writing more! The result: Chapter 5, earlier than planned, but oh well!

Unedited - Will be edited later (May contain spelling/grammatical mistakes)

Don't forget to Share/Comment/Subscribe! Enjoy! X

Lukas POV

I am starting to worry about them. They have been gone too long. They've never been gone this long. Why aren't they back yet?

And the question that plagues me the most: What has gone wrong?

The possibilities are endless. We've always taken it for granted that we are good at our job. Good enough to take them out without getting ourselves killed in the process. But what if we've underestimated her? Is she more powerful than we thought? Maybe that's why she was always one step ahead - I mean, there have been rumours that she can see the future, that she has visions. Maybe her 'talents' have developed further than we ever thought to be possible? If so, we stand little chance of catching her unawares. Maybe, right now, she is ready for the attack, waiting to ambush the team. Or, even worse, what if she has already initiated an attack on them? They could all be lying dead somewhere at this moment, and I would be on my own, facing the impossible task of hunting her down alone.

What if, this time, we've bitten off more than we can chew?

What if?

What if...?

I pace my room, my brain filled with flashing images of potential scenarios, unlikely but possible. I don't agree with what the team do. But that doesn't mean I want them dead. I'm one of them now. I need them. They have become my home now. It's not like I could ever return to my old life. They have to return. They have to. I can't let myself consider any other possibility. They will return. They will, and then life will go on just as it always has, and everything will be back to normal. They're fine, of course they are. They're highly trained assassins, and they have been planning this attack for much longer than any of the others. Everything will be just fine.

My brain tells me that they are okay. My gut isn't quite so convinced.

What if it's not all fine? What if they are in danger, and I am stuck here unable to help? What if they have a gun pressed up to their head, ready to fire a deadly bullet straight between their eyes? Or maybe that bullet is already lodged in their skull; their lifeless, glassy eyes wide open, endlessly staring out but never seeing anything; mouth formed into a slight 'O' in shock; their cold body limp, and slumped to the ground. I can almost hear the gunshots...

BANG!

I jump, startled out of my frantic thoughts. Wow, I know my imagination is vivid, but I never realised it was that vivid! The gunshots almost sounded real... I turn, and begin pacing once more, despite knowing that it doesn't help anything, other than giving me something to do.

BANG!

Except, this time, there is no doubt of the sound being a figment of my imagination. It came from downstairs. I freeze. Could it be...? Without stopping to consider any potential danger, I run along the corridor to the top of the stairs. I am aware of voices, loud and animated. Is it...? I lean over the wooden banister and there, just disappearing out of sight, is the team. I breathe a sigh of relief. They are back. I rush down the stairs, two at a time, stumbling over the last few in my haste to catch up with them. After the anxiety I recently experienced, I am eager to check that they are all okay.