Chapter 16 - Trust Issues

I'm back! A slightly longer chapter this time - I found it difficult to stop writing, I was having too much fun!

Comments/feedback are hugely appreciated, as always.

Hope you enjoy! xx

Kira POV

"Hello."

His voice is low, almost musical. Not what I expected. I expected him to be like the others, sharp, and cruel, and barking orders. But the single word that he has spoken bears no resemblance to the others. Instead, his voice is questioning, unsure. Tentative. Barely a moment after he has spoken, his eyes widen, almost as though he has surprised himself. It's unnerving. Not at all what I expected from one of them.

"Hello?"

I don't know how to respond to him. What kind of a trick is this? What does he want? My lack of reply seems to unsettle him. He takes a hesitant step towards me.

My response is automatic. I flinch away, hands thrown up protectively. Given my lifestyle, and that he is one of them, my response is hardly surprising. But it seems to have startled him. Sensing no further movement, I slowly unfurl, peering up at him warily. He has frozen, face full of alarm, eyes wide. After a moment, he speaks again, even more softly.

"I...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you..." He looks at me with concern. His pity can only be feigned, he is one of them. He hates you, Kira. Don't let him convince you otherwise. I must look like a startled animal, wild and ragged and defensive. But he can hardly expect me to trust him.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I promise. I only want to talk." He speaks hurriedly now, his voice sincere and gently persuasive. Feigned sincerity. But so tempting. I pause a second longer. Drawing out the silence.

"Please believe me." His eyes appear darker than before, and for a second I am breathless, light-headed. I so want to believe him. His pleas seem almost desperate. He's a good actor.

I say nothing. Do nothing. He sighs wearily, a resigned sigh, and slumps a little. He looks frustrated.

I am about to give in, to reply, when he turns to leave, the door slamming behind him.

*

Lukas POV

I should have realised that she wouldn't trust me. Why should she? We've done nothing to deserve her trust. This could be even harder than I initially thought...

But I've made the first leap. I've spoken to her. It was exhilarating, fuelled by pure terror. Terror and adrenaline. And it wasn't easy, with her eyes locked on mine, making me forget who I am. Making me forget my purpose. But I did it.

Now I just need to get her to respond.

If Adrian wants me to get any useful information, I'm going to have to get close to her. She has to believe that I'm not like the others, that I care for her well-being, that I don't want to hurt her.

Admittedly, all of that is true. I do care for her.

But Adrian mustn't ever find out.

*

It's been a couple of hours since I slammed the door on her. I have barely moved in that time, and my legs are aching from the endless standing. I wonder how she copes, locked up in that tiny room for days on end... She's spent her life on the run, not cooped up like an animal. What does she do? Whenever I've seen her, she's been asleep, or staring at the walls. What else can she do? I should probably check on her, try to get her to trust me. I still need her name by the end of the evening, for Adrian. 10pm, he said. That gives me only four and a half hours to gain her trust. No pressure.