5: heartbreaker

wednesday ¬ january 27, 2016

Despite Ella's abundance of years spent at the school, everyone treated her as if she was an alien-like creature—as if she was an actual new student that transferred schools abruptly (and technically, she was): She would receive long stares from almost everyone, even if she wasn't doing anything at all to attract attention (like eating in peace with her friends); people would whisper under their breaths about her whenever she was at her locker or walking down the hallways—but no one had dared to approach Ella and interrogate her about the famous tale of her disappearance, like how they planned to.

No one had enough confidence—the guts—to do it.

She wasn't the same old Ella Rose she was before she left, or at least that's what people established. They were intimidated by her; just her presence made even the most obnoxious and immature imbeciles in the grade quiet. Ben, who acted confident when he first saw her, didn't speak to Ella after class like he had planned to. And everyone who did talk to Ella never ventured to mention the subject, just with the look in Ella's grim brown eyes that told them: mention anything about me leaving, and I won't ever speak to you again.

So they just shut up. They pretended that Ella Rose wasn't an important subject, when really, for the past year, she was what everyone spoke about (and wouldn't get tired of speaking about). The only one who was almost just as normal with Ella was Alice, but she wasn't counted; the two have been best friends since lower school. Death would be the only thing able to break the bond between them.

"Dude, Ella is so hot now!" One boy said to his friend as the both of them cued at the back of the food line, oblivious to the fact that Ella's ex-boyfriend was standing in front of them, eavesdropping on their conversation. (He immediately started listening once he heard Ella's name).

The other boy nodded, "I know, right? Dude, when I saw her in Physics, I was, like, woah. Do you think she's taken, or-?"

Shawn tightened his jaw, spinning on his heel and plastering a fake smile on his lips as he looked at the two boys. "I know for a fact that she's not taken," Shawn begun (though he was unaware himself) and chuckled, "Maybe she had a boyfriend for a whole year but broke up with him by a text, or something! And even if she was single, I suggest that you don't start any sort of relationship with Ella Rose because—and I'm warning you now—your 'forever' with her won't last as long as you would want it to last.

"She's a liar. She won't love you; if she tells you that she does, she is telling a goddamn lie. What she will do is pretend to care about you, but in the end, all she will do is break your heart!"

The boys' eyes bulged when Shawn's volume suddenly increased at the last part of his fury-filled tirade. All heads turned to the line they were standing in, and everyone stared at Shawn, shocked.

"Dude, Shawn, calm down!" One of the boys said, slightly terrified, and you could see it in his eyes. It reminded Shawn of what he used to be years ago—the past him he never enjoyed recalling about.

Shawn's gaze unintentionally averted to where Ella (who is well aware of Shawn's old him) was, and he made eye contact with her, despite the large distance between the two (of other students and cafeteria tables)—but the both of them knew they were looking directly into each other's eyes. Ella knew Shawn was talking about her; all she heard was 'break your heart!', and that was all she needed to hear to apprehend what the subject was about.

'Shawn...' She mouthed to him in disappointment and slight sadness because of his sudden outburst, and Shawn could practically hear the sound of her voice process through his ears. He winced slightly and sent her an abhorring scowl before spinning on his heel once again, facing forward but looking down at his feet in embarrassment.

Never again, he had to remind himself, Never again.

-

:|