18: stranded

hello. im back. so sorry.

-

SPRING BREAK
friday ¬ march 25, 2016

There was another party.

It was Spring Break; a party, or two, was inevitable. This time, the party was at an apartment. And once again, Ella made the mistake of attending—just to ease out everybody's thoughts of her being the 'mysterious' girl who disappeared for a whole year with no traces left behind. She was keen on the drinks, though, making sure that she wasn't going to get drunk again.

"Are you sure you don't wanna...go meet a guy?" Alice asked, her attention on the boy at the other side of the room instead of her best friend, who had hung onto her side since they both walked through the door. "Like, don't you want to have fun? Meet some new people? Play some beer pong, or make out with—"

"You're free to leave me." Ella said, rolling her eyes at her best friend's obvious want for the boy at the other side of the room. She decided to free Alice, just because she had been restricting her friend for over an hour already. She felt bad.

"Oh, thank god. Thanks, Ella!" Alice left, quickly getting lost in the crowd of people. Ella was alone—feeling awkward and out of place. She wasn't the same person she was a year ago; she matured due to reasons of having to set a good example, and her party animal shut down.

She wanted to leave.

"Hey, Cameron." Ella greeted tentatively as Cameron passed by her. To her surprise, he stopped walking and turned to her. The scowl on his face didn't surprise her, though.

"Ella Rose," he said, stepping towards her. The music wasn't too loud, but they had to raise their voices a little. "You know, Shawn has been telling me and the other guys about your guys' encounters; he's been telling us everything that goes on between you two. Let me just say...you're pathetic."

Her chest ached. "I-I know, Cameron," she said, avoiding his eyes just in case she was going to she tears. "But you have to believe me when I say it was for a good reason."

"You left him on New Years with a note—and you didn't even explain why!" Cameron raised his voice. "He loved you so much, Ella. You broke him...bad. Of course he feels nothing but hatred now, and so do we, but he was in love with you. And I don't know what your plan is, for showing up in his life all of a sudden and trying to fix things, but you have to stop. All you're doing is making things worse."

With that, Cameron gave her one last stink eye before leaving her alone, joining the party with a frown upon his face.

Suddenly feeling chilly, Ella hugged herself tightly. She felt sick, hating the song playing and the volume it was playing at. So she turned on her heel, heading out the door.

A cool breeze hit Ella immediately when she exited the apartment building. She walked down the nearly empty sidewalk, still hugging herself. She came to a halt at a bus stop bench, sitting down on it—since she rode with Alice to the party, and she didn't want to end Alice's fun by wanting to go home.

Once Ella sat down, she began to cry. She had been strong ever since she showed up in Shawn's life—only having her eyes brimmed with tears, never really crying—but the painful feeling in her chest was too much to bear.

Her tears were steady, and she didn't sob, but the pain was still depicted. She cried for a while, ignoring the world around her—until her surroundings weren't so safe to ignore.

A few moments later after she sat down, a man slowly approached her premises, his attire plain black. Due to the darkness, Ella couldn't identify what he looked like—but the vibes he gave was enough to make her shiver in fear and scoot a little bit away, stiffening in her seat.