Chapter 13

Camila woke up feeling great and happier than usual. Her camp experience was going well and she could feel herself becoming a stronger and better player every day. She and her teammates have become ridiculously close and she couldn't have asked to be paired up with a more talented set of girls. But most of all, her relationship was running smoothly. Sure they were a different type of couple with a sucky set of limitations, but whenever she and Lauren were hanging out in private with just the two of them, the older girl never hesitated to make her feel special and appreciated. And really, there was nothing else she could ask for in a girlfriend.

She got up and got ready for practice. After brushing her teeth and a quick shower, she tossed on a white Nike t-shirt and grey basketball shorts. She slipped on her regular red headband and laced up her sneakers. She was more than a few minutes early but she didn't mind. Because usually, Lauren showed up early as well and she would definitely love to spend even a short time alone with her girlfriend. She smiled just at the thought that Lauren Jauregui, famous professional basketball player, was her girlfriend. Man, if the girls on her Duke team could see her now.

She grabbed a warm up jacket, Lauren's actually, and slid her arms into it once the cool breeze of the early morning hit her bare arms. The sun was up, but only just, and it was a perfect summer morning. She reached the gym and peeked in through the glass windows before actually entering. Lauren was setting up racks of basketballs at the end of the court and she appeared to be nodding her head gently.

Camila pushed open the gym door and tilted her head confusedly when Lauren didn't turn to greet her. She walked up to the green eyed girl who was still bent over the rack and placed a hand on her shoulder. Lauren jumped, knocked over the rack sending the balls across the room, and turned to her. Camila saw headphones in her ears and laughed at Lauren's terrified face.

She pulled the earbuds out and swung them around her neck. "Fuck babe, you scared the shit out of me."

"Well payback is a bitch isn't it," Camila said with a laugh as Lauren scrambled around to replace the fallen basketballs. When she was done, she walked back over to her and leaned up against the rack. "Hey Coach."

"Hey Cabello. You're looking cute today."

Camila looked down at her outfit, wondering if maybe she had put on something different than planned without realizing and snorted. "You gotta stop saying that because I don't even believe you at this point."

"Well I think you're cute in everything."

"Oh Lauren. Flattery will get you nowhere."

Lauren stepped away from the rack a little closer to Camila. "Oh really? Not even a date tomorrow night?"

Camila noticed her slowly inching closer, but held her ground. "You want to take me on a date?"

"Yeah, I do." Lauren stepped right into her personal space, but kept her hands at her sides.

"I don't know. You're my coach, isn't that against the rules?" Camila teased lightly.

Lauren held onto her waist and pulled her closer. "I won't tell if you won't."

"Coach Jauregui! You dog!" Lauren laughed and Camila smiled at the sound.

"No seriously, go out with me tomorrow night. Please?"

She looked up at the ceiling as if she was pondering the proposition. "Uh, let me think about it."