Chapter 28

Camila pushed open the glass door so hard that all of the surrounding panels shook with the force. She didn't know where she was going, only that she had to get out of there. She had to get away from all of the people watching her fail on the court. Her teammates who were confused by her behavior and needed better from her. And more than anything else, Lauren.

The weather outside was warm still, but the tears that began to fall felt like ice on her cheeks. She didn't even realize when she began crying, only that the burning behind her eyes signaled that it wasn't stopping any time soon. She found herself walking to the side of the building before she just stopped, rested her back against the wall, and buried her face in her hands.

"Mila! Mila where are you!?" someone shouted after her. She didn't answer because she didn't want anyone to find her and see her like this. Especially not the green eyed girl who had caused her so much anguish.

"There you are. Damn, you scared the hell out of me," the familiar voice of her sister said. She felt Diane's slender arms wrapping around her shoulders and pulling her in. She allowed the hug and cried into her sister's shirt, no doubt ruining her own practice jersey in the process. "Shh, it's okay babe. I got you."

"I-I c-can't do it, Di. I can't." Her breathing started to come out shorter and shorter and she felt like a heavy weight was sitting on her chest. She closed her eyes and shook her head, willing the panic attack away, but it had already started.

"Camila, Camila look at me. You're okay. In and out Mini me, in and out. Count out your breaths just like you always do. Come on, you're okay." It took a few moments but she finally got herself under control and leaned against her sister's shoulder again.

"I can't do it," she finally whispered once she could breathe again.

"Can't do what, Mila?"

"Anything. I can't do anything right."

"Stop it, you're just a little overwhelmed right now. Just calm down."

"No, it's true. I fucked up everything. I ruined my relationship with Lauren, she'll never speak to her sister again all because of me, and now I'm letting my team down. Lauren was right, Mami would be so disappointed in me."

Diane grabbed onto both of her cheeks and forced her to look into eyes that were nearly identical to her own. "You listen to me. None of that shit reflects on who you are as a person. You're 21 years old so of course you're going to make mistakes and fuck shit up, but guess what, you're going to learn from it and grow and become a better person. Lauren will forgive you, and her sister in time. And as for Mami, I know for a fact that she would be so proud of who you are right now despite of what you've been through. And yeah she might have smacked you upside the head a few times but I guarantee that she would have kissed the spot right after. So cut that out, Mila."

Camila sighed because there was no arguing with her sister. Something they both had going for them was an incredibly thick head and a stubborn nature. She could argue how much of a fuck up she was until she was blue in the face, but Diane would still have the last word. It was the reason why she made such a good lawyer.

"Was everyone mad when I left?" she asked after a few minutes of silent hugging.

"How the fuck should I know? I left right after you, I wasn't checking to see how anyone else was feeling."

"They're probably mad, but I really don't want to go back in there post-panic attack with this sad and miserable look on my face."

"Then don't go back in there."