fourteen • articles

Having Hannah here is a breathe of fresh air.

Not only do I have someone to talk about things with and not hold back from- since she knows what's going on- but it's also a great distraction from Levi's death. When my mind does wander to his suicide (I always try to keep it from doing so, but sometimes I just can't help it), she's always there to help with the grieving process. Even if sometimes her constantly peppy attitude doesn't exactly match the way I'm feeling, I'm still grateful she's here.

There's still a couple of days until Levi's funeral- which I'm taking the time to prepare myself for- but right now, Hannah and I are on her laptop, doing something important. When I had told Hannah about Finn accusing Levi of killing his parents, she had quickly told me that if that were true, it had to have been reported to the police (unless, of course, Finn was either lying or the only one who knew). So, the next thing I know, she's sitting me down on her bed and pulling open her laptop.

"What's Levi's full name?" she asks, opening up Google.

"Levi Collins."

Hannah types that into Google, my eyes widening when a bunch of articles quickly pop up. I hadn't actually thought we'd get so many search results. The first one catches my eye quickly, almost making my heart skip a beat, too.

Deadly Car Accident Leaves A Sixteen-Year Old Boy Orphaned.

Hannah and I look at each other in shock, Hannah moving to quickly opening the link and adjusting the laptop in between us so we can both read the article. I swallow dryly, propping myself up on my elbows and beginning to scan the page.

On Saturday November 15th, 2014 at two in the morning, neighbours in the small town of Cruthers in North Carolina were awoken by the sound of police sirens at 11:00 PM.

On East Wood Road, police cars, ambulances and fire trucks were circling the scene of a horrific car accident. In that car were four passengers, and only two came out alive.

A family of three- Kate, Richard and their sixteen year-old son Levi Collins were heading back from picking up their nephew- Finn Allen- when they decided to let their newly turned sixteen year-old practice a bit of his driving skills.

Hannah gasps at the same I look up. She points to the screen, "Finn was there."

My eyes widen at that piece of information, not too sure what to make of it. I swallow, taking a deep breath and turning back to the article.

That had ended horribly, when the car had turned into the wrong lane and promptly lost control, crashing straight into a tree. The tree, which had already been relatively young and weak, ended up falling over and crushing half of the car.

Kate Collins- forty three years old- was found dead on the scene while Richard Collins- forty nine years old- died after a day of being in critical condition in hospitalization. Their son Levi Collins suffered with head trauma which the doctors have stated isn't life threatening while Finn Allen was lucky to escape with only a broken arm.

"It's a tragedy," Katherine Allen, Finn Allen's mother told our reporters. "They were both such amazing people. The accident was just that- truly an accident."

Police have confirmed that Levi Collins wasn't under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and are soon to close up further investigation.

I'm in shock for a bit after finishing the article. Levi had caused the car accident that took his parent's life. It had killed his parents. So, to some extent, Finn was telling the truth. But-

"Levi didn't kill his parents," Hannah says, voicing the thoughts that were running through my head. "It was an accident. Why would Finn call Levi a monster- and go as far as to mess with someone's medication, which is sick- over an accident?" Hannah shakes her head. "This isn't adding up. I feel like the fact that Finn was there is important. Did Finn act like he hated Levi?"