twenty one • betrayal

We pick up Richard, even though he looks like he'd much rather be sleeping than being with us right now. That's fine; he can sleep all he wants once we figure this stuff out. But for now, we need all hands on deck.

Richard, although tired, is leaning on his elbows between the two front seats, his cold blue eyes turned to me as I ask, "So what exactly did Clayton say?"

Richard shrugs, "Nothing really. Just the same thing he told you guys; that he was with Finn the night of the accident. Apparently they were just hanging around."

"And Clayton saw nothing out of the ordinary?"

Richard shakes his head, "Nope."

Hannah sighs, leaning back in her seat. We still haven't left the parking lot of the orphanage, mostly because we have nowhere to go. Hannah's long nails- though they've been slightly chipped in some place from cottage activities- tap against the steering wheel, her nose scrunched up as she thinks for a moment. Finally, she says, "Clayton obviously said something to Finn about seeing us."

Richards furrows his eyebrows. "What? How do you know?"

"Yesterday when we got back, Finn blatantly told us that Devon was Clayton's last name. He knows that we're looking. I'm surprised he didn't kill us in our sleep."

"Did you see him this morning?" Richard asks.

"No."

Richard sighs heavily, pulling back and leaning against the back seat. I turn to look at him, just to see him running a hand down his face. Richard's face is blank, but I'm not concerned- Richard's face is always expressionless. He obviously isn't a fan of showing emotion. Every time I se him, his blue eyes are as hard as steel, as if they were even slightly vulnerable a person could read all his secrets through them.

"I still think we should try and get the medical files," Hannah says.

"You keep saying that, but you never give us a way how," I point out.

"Do you have any super technology smart friends, Richard?"

"Nope. Living in an orphanage all your life doesn't give me or my friends much technology experience."

Hannah groans. Out of nowhere, she turns the engine on and begins to back out of the parking lot. I blink, "What're you doing?"

"Getting out of here," Hannah says. "I can't stand just sitting her for another day, throwing back and forth the same ideas and not getting anything out of it. Let's go to the library, there's Wi-Fi there and I need to submit some summer homework."

Richard gives us directions to the nearest library. The library is thankfully pretty empty- I don't think anyone is going to be spending their summer at a library- so Richard, Hannah and I are able to find a table pretty far away from people so our conversation doesn't get ease-dropped on. Hannah spends most of her time on her phone, editing the document for submission while Richard and I exchange ideas back and forth. It's frustrating, though, because we only repeating things we've already talked about and it's getting us nowhere.

"I'm going to the bathroom," Richard randomly says after a couple of minutes of silence settle between us.

"Have fun," Hannah absentmindedly says, not even looking up from her phone.

"That's a weird thing to say to someone going to the bathroom," I snort. Richard chuckles in agreement before walking away.

Hannah runs a hand through her hair, sighing heavily and putting her phone down. She stands up, leaning forward to flip her hair over and put it up in a big bun. She seems fidgety, I notice.