Chapter Eleven

Lucy

Rule Number Eleven: Fun Can Cure Anything

The next morning, I lay stretched out on the couch, falling asleep on one of the millions of pillows my mom decorated with. It was seven fifty-three in the morning, and I was feeling extremely sleep-deprived. Snuggling down and giving a contented sigh, I was just about to fall back into sleepy land when my dad came and shook me awake, softly calling my name.

"Lucy bear," he signsonged, using my childhood nickname to rouse me. I smiled and sat up, rubbing my eyes before looking at him. He was dressed in pressed black slacks, a crisp white shirt, and black work shoes, his phone and holster clipped on his belt. Although he was a detective and mainly worked on investigations, he was still required to carry the requisite handgun. "Lucy, somebody's at the door. Can you get it?" He asked, fixing his tie in the mirror above the television.

"Sure daddy," I said, hopping up and padding to the door. "Hi Natsu," I greeted, yawning slightly then giving him an apologetic smile.

"Hi, Lucy," he rumbled, deep voice sending shivers down my spine. "Ready to go?" He asked, sticking his hands bashfully into the pockets on his swim trunks, grinning a boyish, innocent grin.

"Yeah, hang on let me-" I began, but was cut off.

"Who are you?" My dad growled out, arms crossed over his chest, glaring menacingly down at Natsu, who stood an inch or two shorter than my dad.

"Dad, this is my friend Natsu. I told you and mom last night that my friend and I were going out," I said uncomfortably, blushing furiously and scuffing the toe of my sneaker on the wood.

"Lucy, you said you were going out with a friend, not a boyfriend," My father said, fixing me with an accusing look. Damn, he could do the one raised eyebrow thing too! I'm going to have to practice that in the mirror some more.

"Daddy, Natsu isn't my boyfriend though; he's just my friend that happens to be a guy," I said, resorting to my sweet, 'how can you deny me?' voice. It usually worked every time, and almost always got me what I wanted.

"Somehow, I don't believe you. Come in, son," my dad said gruffly, commanding Natsu in, stepping aside so Natsu could enter.

He looked amused by the whole thing, like he was truly enjoying this. He looked at me and grinned, then motioned for me to come and sit with him on the couch, where my dad had directed him to go. My dad gave me a look that said I better sit down or else. Oh gosh. Why didn't I run out of the house before my dad could get his hands on Natsu? Now it was too late though, and my friend was about to be interrogated by my father.

"Dad, why are you doing this? " I whined, trying to get out of this. God. I always knew my dad would be embarrassing and give the boyfriend talk to someone, I just never thought he'd give it to Natsu, who was most definitely not my boyfriend.

"Lucy, I'm trying to protect you from perverted boys," my dad replied, as if it were obvious. Which it was, but still, it's embarrassing.

"Lucy, it's fine, really. I don't mind. I've never gotten this talk before, so it'll be interesting," Natsu said, covering both of my hands with one of his. My dad gave a death glare, but Natsu merely stared at him, hand still covering mine. I knew he was doing it to provoke my father, and he was doing an extremely good job of it, but something else was happening. Something weird was going on. I must be dying. There was something going on in my stomach. It felt like butterflies were fluttering around, but I knew that couldn't be possible, so I must be dying. Right? I mean, I like Gray. Not Natsu. Right?

"Alright, son, tell me about yourself," my father said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"My name's Natsu Dragneel, I'm a senior, just like Lucy, and I get good grades. Anything else?"