Chapter Thirteen

Lucy

Rule Number Thirteen: Everyone Deserves A Second Chance

I couldn't even begin to form words. My dad was glaring at Natsu like he wanted to feed him to lions, and Gray stood slightly behind him, looking guilty and embarrassed. Clearing my throat, I gently removed Natsu's hands from my face and stepped back, cheeks flaming up in embarrassment.

"Um, hi Dad. Gray," I greeted coldly, sparing a glance at Natsu. His face was blank, but his eyes were blazing, both with anger and what looked like passion. Had he wanted to kiss me as much as I'd wanted to kiss him? As much as I still wanted to kiss him? Everyone was silent, watching me, waiting to see what I did.

"Can Natsu stay for dinner, dad?" I squeaked out, saying the first thing that came to mind. My father raised one black brow at me, but just nodded his head once, disappearing into the house, but not before calling out that if Natsu was staying, a nice boy like Gray could stay too. Hmph. Nice boy, my ass. Nice boys don't go around leading one girl on when said nice boy didn't even like anyone else, but Juvia.

"Why are you here, Gray?" I asked, taking a step towards Natsu. He did what I hoped he'd do, wrapped his arm protectively around my shoulders, not so much in a boyfriend kind of way, but in a protective friend kind of way. It was a sweet gesture, but I didn't melt, and I didn't pay attention to my rapidly beating heart.

"I wanted to apologize. Can I talk to you alone?" Gray asked, deep voice sounding regretful.

I looked up at Natsu, who was watching me, waiting for my reaction. I nodded my head and he squeezed my shoulder reassuringly before walking back to his truck, probably to get his shoes and just give me the privacy I'd asked for. I was wrong about Natsu; I'd thought he was a player that didn't care about girls feelings and didn't care if he hurt them, but I was wrong. He was really sweet, and listened to what I said, and was just a wonderful person. Maybe, by helping me, I was helping him. Maybe-hopefully-I was teaching him that there was more to life than endless dates and using girls.

"So what is it that you wanted to tell me?" I asked Gray, crossing my arms beneath my breasts. I'd pulled my shirt and shorts back on over my bikini, but I still felt exposed, scrutinized, like he was looking over every inch of me.

"I wanted to apologize for yesterday. I never meant for that to happen," he started. He looked tired and miserable, like he couldn't believe what he was saying.

"You mean you never meant to make out with my best friend while simultaneously humping her?" I asked, feeling tears well up in my eyes and willing them to go away. "Listen, Gray, you could have told me that you were already in love with someone else. I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to hook you. It's really embarrassed me, because I brought Gajeel, Levy, and Natsu along and we all sat their watching as the guy I liked made out with my best friend. I don't blame Juvia one bit-it's just the way she is. I just thought you'd be different. Obviously I was right."

"I didn't kiss Juvia! She attacked me!" Gray defended. He did not just go there.

"Please get off of my porch. I can't believe you'd come here and try to apologize for your behavior by blaming Juvia. I know she's horny every other second, but obviously you were too. It was a two-way street. Now you're going to get off of my porch, tell your friends and family, and go to prom with Juvia. I want to be your friend, Gray, but I can't go around knowing you're living a lie," I said, stepping forward and laying a hand on his wide shoulder.

I don't know how I forgot that Juvia's and Grays family are both in a family feud, but I only just remembered Juvia telling me about it when I told her that I liked him. Apparently they have been in a feud for years. Not to the point of violence, but to the point where the only thing they can agree on, is that their children should not be together. It's really stupid, but their families companies had a falling out and their families will be angry when they find out about them. Now that I think about it, Gray has always been so kind to Juvia and Juvia seemed kind of upset when I told her about me liking Gray.