Chapter Twenty

"Chris! Help me unpack the groceries, please!" I hear my mom shout from downstairs.

"Okay, coming!" I holler back, pushing pause on the video game me and Ricky were just playing. Ricky groans to himself as I get up and head to the kitchen where my mom was working on getting a few soup cans in the pantry.

"Thank you, Chris," she smiles as she tosses the now empty bag off to the side. I hum my response as I grab the nearest bag and putting its contents where they belong.

"Dang it, I forgot to buy milk," Mom sighs as we finish the last of the bags, but finding milk in none.

"Sounds like you, Mom," I mumble as I roll my eyes playfully. She sees and mocks hurt.

"You know what? Go to the store and buy us some milk."

Before I can protest, she's shoving the car keys in my hand in shooing me towards the front door. She walks off with a playful smirk, leaving me alone in the foyer to pull on some shoes. I look down at what I'm currently wearing: an old fading band tee and sweat pants, and I don't even have my eyebrows drawn on. Oh well, it's just Walmart anyways.

<><><>

Thankfully enough, no one shoots me a second glance when I walk into Walmart practically in my pajamas. Hopefully I won't run into anyone I know from school...

I shrug it off as I quickly make my way to the dairy section of the store, scanning the shelves for the milk we usually buy. I grab a couple containers of milk and turn back, only to meet face to face with Blue.

"Oh, hey," I greet with a smile.

"Hey. You look great."

"Suck my ass. My mom didn't give me a chance to get dressed before she sent me to get milk."

"Hmm. Well anyways, wanna help me shop for groceries?"

"Yeah, okay," I agree as I follow her to her cart, putting my milk in it when we get there.

"So, how's life treating ya?" Blue asks, pushing her cart away from the dairy section.

"Good, I guess."

"That's good."

"Mhm. What about you, though?"

She shrugs, stopping to grab a few bags of chips and toss them into the cart. "I broke up with Adriana the other day."

"I heard."

"You did?" she asks, tossing a pack of cheese to her cart.

"Yeah, Adriana told me," I tell her awkwardly, shoving my hands in the pockets of my sweatpants.

"Did she tell you why?" she asks me as she starts to push the cart away from the dairy section.

"She said you thought she cheated on you."

"She did."

"She said it was her sister-"

"She told me she didn't have a sister when we first met."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

We continue the shopping trip in an awkward silence after that, neither of us not knowing what to say. When she decides that she's finished, we make our way to the line. I grab my milk and pay for it before wishing Blue a good evening and leaving.

<><><>

The warning bell goes off and I quickly rush to my last class of the day. I push through the students swarming the hallway, insults being thrown my way by certain people when I bumped into them. I miraculously make it into the classroom just as the bell rings. I greet Adriana as I take my usual seat next to hers.

"Hey, why weren't you at lunch today?" she asks me.

"Had to finish a test. Can I talk to you about something?"

She nods, giving me her undivided attention. "What's up?"

"I, uh... talked to Blue yesterday evening..."

"And..?"

I have a feeling that I shouldn't have this conversation with Adriana right now, or ever, really, but that doesn't stop me from doing so.

"She told me that you lied about her sister..."

"And you believe her?"

I shrug, looking away when she starts to look hurt, betrayed, and pissed.

"Are you seriously accusing me of cheating too?!" she snaps, her voice rising a bit. A few curious classmates turn their attention to us, but that doesn't phase her as she continues anyways. "You were supposed to be my best fucking friend! What did she even say to make you side with her?!"

"She said that you told her that you didn't have a sister."

"How do you know she's not just saying that?!" she retorts, tears starting to brim my eyes now.

"To be honest, you've never really mentioned anything about having a sister before you guys broke up..."

"I swear to God I'm not cheating!!" she shouts at me before shaking her head and standing. "You know what, I'm not wasting my breath anymore. Fuck you, Chris."

And with that, she gathers her things and moves to a different seat far away from mine, leaving me to let this sink in.

I just lost one of my best friends...

<><><><><><>

  o.o
so my awesome best friend helped me get an idea for this chapter, and the next one too!!
and one of my readers on wattpad offered to help with a kiss scene since i absolutely suck at those :D
but yay i love you guys <3