Chapter 19

Nelson didn’t bother to show him out.

As Earl, Jenny, and Gloria made their way down the corridor, the ladies burst out with questions.

“What happened in there?”

“What did he say?”

“And then what did you say?”

Earl refused to discuss anything. “Not out here.” He glanced around, suspicious of everyone in the hall. What was that man doing with the walker? Where was that woman rolling that oxygen tank?

They went to Gloria’s apartment. The women waited until they got Earl settled. Earl’s wheelchair was parked next to the couch. Jenny took the big chair. Gloria went to get everyone some iced tea.

While waiting for the tea, Jenny stared at Earl. He tried to ignore her, taking a few minutes to look around the apartment. If it wasn’t for their young chaperone, Earl would never have allowed himself to be alone with Gloria. It wouldn’t look right.

Gloria’s apartment was—what was the word?—cute. It had the same basic layout and furnishings as his and Kent’s, but she had added personal touches: ferns, ceramic cats, what have you.

Gloria returned from the kitchenette and handed a glass of iced tea each to Earl and Jenny. “Here we go.”

Earl took a sip. It was a little weak for his taste. Just the same, he smiled and smacked his lips. With both women staring at him, he focused on his glass. “So, did you brew this yourself, or—?”

“It’s instant.” Gloria was on the couch, sitting forward anxiously.

“So you just dip the bag—?”

“Crystals. You put crystals in a glass and add water.”

“So?” Jenny had waited long enough. “What happened?”

“Nelson is guilty of a lot of things—or he would have thrown me out a lot sooner.”

“Why do you say that?”

“He needed to figure out whether I knew enough to be dangerous. Did you get the shredded papers?”

Jenny opened her purse and thin slivers of paper shot out like they were spring-loaded. “All that would fit.”

“Good. We need to see whether we can get any of them to fit together. Based on Nelson’s reaction to my bluff, some of those may turn out to be the same receipts we found in the record albums.”

“Receipts?”

Earl folded his hands. “But there are still some things that don’t fit. I’m not sure what I think.”

“Why don’t you tell us all about it, darlin’, and we’ll work through it together,” Gloria said. “Maybe we can come up with something.”

Earl shared the details of his private meeting with Nelson. He gave them the context of the situation, what built up his theories, what his expectations had been going in to see the man. After he had unloaded the whole story, he just sat back in his wheelchair and locked his fingers together.

“We should call the sheriff,” Jenny said.

Earl looked forlornly at his empty glass. He looked at Gloria. “I don’t suppose you could—?”

“Of course, Blue Eyes. Don’t say anything interesting until I get back.”

“Hey,” Earl said, trying to sound bright and cheerful, “how about we go to the cafeteria and get something to eat?”