20

Kenzie's POV

It's the Monday after I met my dad, and I'm scared to go to school. What if he finds me? Mom won't be there to stop him from taking me away.

"Come on, you're going to be late," Mom called to me. I walked to the front door where she was waiting, my backpack over my shoulder and my lunch in her hand.

"Mom, I'm scared," I admitted.

"He's not going to get you," she said, stroking my long hair. "If you see him, find a teacher and explain the situation. I'll be there right away and he will be taken away in a heartbeat. But I seriously don't think he's going to show up."

I sighed as we made our way out to the car. We got in and drove to school. The whole time I was so nervous.

I walked into my first class and set next to Clarissa, who gave me a smile. I returned one, trying to look like nothing was bothering me. "Who's the guy?" she asked with a smirk.

"What guy?" I asked confused.

"The one you and your Mom were with. Was that some kind of date or something? Why did she bring you and another guy on a date?"

"Woah, Clarissa, stop. That was my biological father," I said in a quiet tone so no one else could easily hear our conversation.

"Your Mom is dating you father?"

"No," I said, trying to get her to stop talking. "It's been seven years, and he wanted to see me again. We just caught up on some things. He said he's changed."

"Has he?"

"I guess," I lied with a shrug. "So it went well?" I nodded. I didn't want to explain everything that happened.

The class started to fill up, and before I knew it, the first bell rang.

I was paranoid all day. I guess it was pretty obvious, because Clarissa kept asking if I was okay. I always told her that I was fine and gave her a smile. I feel bad about lying, but it would be too much to explain. I didn't want to think about it, either.

Demi's POV

I felt really bad about sending Kenzie to school scared like she was, but she's going to have to realize that no one is going to hurt her. I can't baby her all of her life. I can protect her from harm, but I can't protect her from fear.

I got a call in the middle of the day from Nick.

"Hey," I say answering it.

"Hey," Nick responds. I love the sound of his voice. I never really noticed how much I liked it until he went on tour, and the only way we can talk is on the phone. "Have you seen everything on the media yet?"

"No."

"Everyone's talking about the mystery guy," he said, making sure 'mystery guy' was dramatic.

"What mystery guy?" I ask in a mocking tone.

"From the park. You, Kenzie, and Max were all talking to him."

"Oh, um, that was Kenzie's father." There was a pause. "Hello?"

"What did he want?" Nick asked, anger in his voice.

"He just wanted to see Kenzie. He says he's changed and her wanted to say that he was sorry."

"So it went okay?"

"Well..."

"What happened?" Nick asked with worry.

"He got a little upset by the end. He didn't hurt us or anything, he just yelled."

"Why?"

"I wouldn't agree to share custody with him."

"Wait, he thought he could get joint custody?" Nick asked surprised.

"Yeah, crazy, right?"

"He's insane."

There was a pause as I tried to change the subject. "How's the tour?"

"It's great. I'm excited to come home, though."

"Me, too. You're coming to my place for dinner on Friday, right?"

"Yup. Does Kenzie know?"

"No, I haven't told her. I want it to be a surprise." Another pause. "She misses you. We both do."

"I miss you two, also."

I looked at the clock. "I have to go pick Kenzie up. I'll see you Friday."

"Yeah. See you then."

The phone call ended, and I grabbed my car keys. I couldn't wait until Nick got back.

Kind of short, but I don't know when I'll have time to update again. I've been stressed out with school. On top of that, I found out a few hard things about some family members this evening, and I'm writing to try and clear my thoughts. It worked a little, I guess.

So I'm trying to write a new story. I'm thinking another Demi adopt. Would my readers be okay with that? Or are you tired of me writing those? Please let me know!