26

Gracie
I opened the door and Stuart entered. He looked around the house. "Impressive." He muttered. He was still very good looking and swaggy, if that's even a word. He sits on the couch and I turn away from the door in enough time to hear the bell ring again. I open the door to see Ivy. She hugs me as soon as she sees me.
"Ben can't come and he apologized for that." She says as she removes her pencil heels. I hesitate.
She comes inside and her gaze falls on Stuart. She stops short and looks at me, as if asking me through her eyes, why didn't you warn me? She looks blankly at him and he raises his eyes to look at her. A whistle escapes his lips as he gets up and walks towards Ivy. "You look beautiful." He openly compliments her as he envelopes her into a hug. He still doesn't know she had loved him once. Or maybe still does. But she has Chris now. Oh so much of confusion! She stiffens at first but soon hugs him back. They were best friends after all.
I dawdle into the kitchen to get them something. I hear them talk and two minutes later, Ivy bursts through the doorway. Very calmly, she circles me,"Why didn't you tell me about it?"
"I didn't think his presence will affect you so much."
She suddenly whisper shrieked,"It did affect me. Like have you seen him, he's grown to be so hot!"
I looked at her wierdly. "You mean to say, only his looks affected you? Not the feelings that you have so carefully buried?"
She sighed and leaned against the counter. "When I saw him all of a sudden, it felt like a bad dream had resurfaced again, all the memories, good and bad flashed before my eyes. But I'm over it. I have a new love. He lost me. That's it."
I smile at her. She gives me another weak smile. "He called me beautiful. What would I have not done to hear those same words seven years back."
She moved to the living room and they engage in a conversation again. They look great together, sadly sometimes the person you want is the person you're best without. I sat on the couch beside them and they directed their attention to me.
"Alastair and she have taken a break." Ivy whispered not so softy to Stuart.
He looks at me in disbelief. "He's such an ass I tell you." He murmurs, shaking his head.
"No he's trying to work it out." I'm still defending him.
"She rejected so many guys for him, not even knowing if he'll ever come back. And he went off and got engaged to another girl. Still she forgave him. And now this, I don't even know what they will work out." Ivy says to Stuart irritatedly.
"Ivy." I whine.
Stuart accesses me for a while. "Gracie he does love you. More than words can explain. When you two broke up, he used to drink, all day and all night. But not even once did he let another woman touch him in that drunken state. He didn't ever cast his eyes on anyone else, as unbelievable as it might seem. Paige's case was a rare one. He was too grateful to Mr. Roberts and Paige took advantage of that." He completes.
"Is Paige a cheat or a flirt maybe?" Ivy asks.
"Looking at her, it might seem like that. But she doesn't let Alastair have even an indication of that. And Alastair doesn't care enough to find out, he might not even give a damn if he finds out that Paige is cheating on him." Stuart says.
I ponder over what they say. "He will find out a way right?" I whisper.
"He will Grace, don't worry. When hasn't he found out a way to be with you?"
"When he left for something better." I choke upon my own voice. Ivy scoots beside me and holds my shoulder. No Grace don't cry. Even if they're friends, don't cry. You're stronger than you think you are. What did I read that day, smiling, even if it's fake when you're sad, can help lighten up your mood. I tried to smile but I'm sure I looked like a neighing horse so I focussed on controlling tears. Now now, Alastair wouldn't like it if you degrade yourself in your own eyes. And that was it. I broke down.
Ivy rubbed a hand along my back. I controlled myself. Ivy and Stuart stayed for another hour or so, trying to make me laugh by reminding me of happy memories of our school life. But every memory was imprinted with traces of him.
They left after a while. I was left once again to solitude. I tried to focus on my word but it wasn't getting done.
My phone pinged all of a sudden. I checked it.
I need you. Come to me. Fast. -A
That one text was enough for me to leave everything and rush to be by his side.
___________________________
Hello everyone! I'm kind of overwhelmed by the appreciation and praise I've been recieving recently. Trust me, there's nothing better than this. I love you all. Keep reading and voting, commenting! Also, you can catch my other writing at www.ramsha1409.wordpress.com
Much love <3