Chapter 3: Getting to Know Your Parents

Walking home would be the highlight of your night, you knew. It was chilly, wind swirling around you and causing shivers up your arms and spine. When you left, you spotted Dave with his usual friends. They were pretty cool, too. They always walked home together, even though they all lived in different directions. You were pretty envious, being a social loner like yourself, you don't walk home with anyone. Hitching the backpack further on your shoulder, you looked forward and focused on getting home safely. You didn't need another reason to be yelled at by your parents.

Reaching home came too quickly. Logically, you knew it was because you walked faster than normal, anxious to get the scolding over and done with, but you could only feel like it was because time was against you. Speeding up at night and then slowing down when you got home. Opening the door, you set the slip on the table and shuffled to your room. You were the first one home everyday, so you could at least get into comfortable clothing before you had to face the shouting and disappointed looks from your parents. Changing into your pjs, you shook your hair, letting it feel free and loose, before hobbling over to the table and sitting there, three glasses of water in front of you. You knew the routine. Yelling, crying, water, laughing. Dinner. Sleep.

As the door clicked open, you looked up. The look on your father's face only showed the knowledge of what was coming. Write ups always came more often nearing the end of the week. He looked haggard and you knew that he must have had a hard day at work. Guilt settled itself in your stomach as you swallowed.

"Hi, Daddy," you mumbled. Some thought it was silly that you still called your father 'Daddy', but it was normal for you. You had such a close relationship with him and your mother so it wasn't odd for you. You did try to limit it when someone you didn't know was over, though, lest you get odd looks.

"Another one?" he asked, setting his bag on the table and slipping his shoes off. He was dirty from work, though it was nothing new.

"Yes," you responded, looking at him. He looked tired. So tired. You felt more guilt pool in yourself.

"Just, go to your room." You felt your heart drop. When he doesn't scold, you knew something was wrong. Instead of arguing, you head back to your room. Sitting yourself down on your desk chair, you pull up your laptop and turn to pesterchum. You have some online friends that you speak to occasionally. None, though, that you are very close with. Scanning the list, you frown when no one is on. Rolling your neck, you decide that tonight was going to be a long, long night.

By the time your mom got home, your dad had relaxed. You could hear them discuss their point of actions as they made dinner together. Your dad made the best vegetables, your mother made fantastic meals. Though, all you could really compare to was the school lunches and fast food restaurants.

"We could limit internet access." Your father suggested.

"No, you know how little they use the internet for friends or social settings in the first place. What they do on the computer doesn't require internet." Your mother countered. You heard the chopping of knives and hoped they would be making a salad as a side course.

"What about having them stay behind for tutor sessions." Your mother suggested.

"No, they're getting decent grades. Although, they could tutor others, possibly?" Your father responded.

"They'd probably slack on that, as well." Your mother balanced. Finding a suitable punishment was always the problem your parents were left with. This normally left you with a clean slate because they could never think of anything.

"What if we get something for them that will be more engaging?" Your father asked.

"Like a sport?" Your mother inquired.

"Exactly."

"No," you interrupted, shuffling into the kitchen for a drink. "No sports. I'm too clumsy. What about an extracurricular activity that would keep me after school and engage me but not totally ruin everything below my knees." Your parents looked at you.

"We could check into the school."

"Although," your mother drawled, "isn't that something that would be more of a reward than a punishment?"

"It could help them focus more in class if they release their creative energy after school, though," your father hinted. He always was the more psychologically inclined.

"Alright then, but instead of us looking, sweetheart, you can do that yourself tomorrow." Nodding in agreement with the arrangement, you began getting the table ready for dinner. Hopefully they were right, you felt bad causing your parents stress for them to come home after work and worry about you getting in trouble all the time. It didn't help you were an only child and thus had high expectations from yourself and your parents.

Once you were all seated, you began to nibble on your salad. Your parents didn't like your habit of drenching the vegetables in ranch, but you told them you'd grow out of it eventually. Thinking back to the day, you remembered Dave. From the way you saw him interact with his brother at parties, you could only assume something as normal and nuclear as this was out of the question. Pondering the possibilities of what life with only an older brother would be like, you found yourself quickly done with dinner and not remember anything that was said. You could tell your parents were enjoying the odd quiet dinner for once, instead of your normal chatter-box self. Smiling at them, you set your fork down.

"May I please be excused?" You asked, tilting your head subconsciously to the side. Your mother nodded and your father smiled as you stood and gathered your dirty dishes. You rinsed them off in the sink and then proceeded to put them away in the dishwasher. Hopefully, you'd have another chance to talk to Dave tomorrow... and hopefully you'd remember to get a list of all the clubs that met after school.