Mother's Day

The second Sunday in May is Mother's Day; Peter and I have been on several dates and we are now official. So too are Summer and Johnathon; Elly and Ben. Whilst within our circle and yes that includes Winter we all know Donna and Jasmine are dating their not yet official in the world of Facebook but Jasmine has hers set to "in a relationship".

We have all been playing up on the mother's day theme. We had a huge victory when on the day before mother's day Winter called at our house unexpectantly with a bunch of flowers. She gave them to mum saying.

"I just want to thank you for being like a second mum to me and so I have brought you these flowers; just to say you know; well thanks".

I teared up, my mum teared up, I'm pretty sure we all teared up. Hugs were given and then we simply sat down to a nice cup of tea and a general chat.

Mum asked about Daniel and Winter's response was.

"You probably know my mum doesn't know about Coups. So dating has been a little difficult. He brought me a phone so that we can text and communicate together. Mum I'm sure checks my phone. Obviously mum doesn't know about the second phone. We have gone to the movies but we mostly hang out at the park or the river or just chat in his car."

Yeah chat I thought but didn't interrupt and I'm pretty sure I saw a wry smile on my mums face as she did interrupt with

"Yes Ray and I used to; chat in the car a lot when we were dating" and I definitely detected a pause before she said chat. Inwardly there was a huge groan.

Continuing Winter said

"Well it's all just a little surprising really. I mean I wasn't even thinking about a boyfriend; it kinda just happened before I had time to think about it. Not that he has asked me to be his girlfriend or anything but I think I'm his girlfriend. Am I Autumn?"

"Oh yes you most definitely are! That's a good thing! Yeah?" I innocently state but more question.

"Well probably not from mums point of view and the Society wouldn't like it all. I really hadn't thought about it or thought it through. I mean I really like him and he treats me; well special. I kinda like it. I mean no-one except maybe dad has ever treated me that way. He doesn't tell me anything; he's forever asking my opinion before we do anything and it's probably strange to say but I like having a say.

"So you should" my mother comes back with "men just think they rule the roost but Ray wouldn't do anything without checking with me first."

"Would you Ray? She yells through the house.

"What's that?" We hear coming from the direction of the study.

"Just say Yes!" Mum yells again.

"Whatever you say." We hear in reply as we burst out laughing.

Herbie and I collected Peter on Sunday so he could have a drink with our parents. Police officers must have a zero blood alcohol content when driving. He presented mum with a bottle of sparkling white wine.

"Not an overpriced French Champagne" he said.

"This a consistent multi winning Aussie from the Macedon Ranges."

He'd hand wrapped it in clear cellophane with a red ribbon.

"You do like Champagne; don't you?" mum nodded.

"This isn't Champagne as I said but it's made the same way using Aussie grapes not French ones. My friends in the know promise me this is the real thing full flavoured yet dry; crisp but balanced."

We laughed at his presentation.

Mum opened it up

"Hanging Rock; Macedon NV Cuvee; well if its half as good as you bost I'm sure I'll enjoy it." She giggled like a school girl.

Was mum flirting with my boyfriend? Gross!

I had put on a lamb roast for lunch and dad helped with the vegetables and oversaw it all when we ducked out to get Peter. I decided to go all out and made couscous as a base for the lamb and purchased some mint sauce. I couldn't afford to risk it making two sauces.

I put a traditional Aussie damper in the slow cooker which came out perfectly and served it warm as an entree.

The cuvee was the best mum had ever tasted and dad confirmed it with

"It is indeed a good drop" and his patented know all look.

It was a little dry I thought but then I only got one sip and had nothing to reference it to.

The couscous was just as I wanted; the lamb was a beautiful pink when cut. The potatoes were crispy but soft inside. No complaints about the sweet potatoe or pumpkin. The red wine gravy was smooth and exquisite.

Dad had steamed beans and broccoli from the freezer.

I think I over achieved with the meal. Everyone was impressed and Peter just kept squeezing my hand.

We headed off when the broadcast rugby match ended for my inaugural meeting with his folks. I was really nervous but I put on a brave face. I kept reminding myself if there son is nice they must be too.

From the moment I walked into the house I could feel the tension. Thankfully we were eating at a restaurant was all I could think. Mr Allen was playing music performed by Liza Minelli he simply greeted with us with

"You're here at last!"

I think there was a grunt when I was introduced; I couldn't be sure.

Mrs Allen was in her sewing room. She snapped

"Took you long enough. Other things more important than your mother now. Can't be bothered to even spend a day with your mum on mother's day. Is this how it's going to be from now on is it!?"

It sounded more like a statement than a question.

Peter held my hand and mouthed sorry.

"I did do something wonderful for you mum. I've brought home the most special girl in the world to meet you. Mum this is Autumn."

"What makes you so special girl?" she sharply says looking straight into my eyes but it feels like my soul.

"Your son does ma'am and I can't express to you how happy I am to finally meet you."

"Don't call me ma'am!" Then in a somewhat softer voice

"Call me Lizzy all my friends do."

"Well what time are we headed off to this fan dangled restaurant? Your father is in a foul mood."

Then looking at me.

"His beloved Magpies lost in the footy today."

I could feel the storm clouds lifting. It wasn't me it was just bloody footy. Peter also followed the Magpies the only negative I had found to date. I wondered if Peter would become as parochial given time. It was at that moment I realised I wanted Peter to be a keeper and I was still at school.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Hey; Scott here just saying hi.
Peter does seem like a keeper.
As always your votes and comments are sought and
appreciated.