Capitolo I

The rainy season had started, and London had never quite seen such a storm that year. The rain came down in fat droplets, splashing into the crowded streets below as civilians bustled about in the night. Large crowds gathered in the squares as merchants sold their wares and goods for much too high prices. As the night waned, a peculiar scene was taking place in a dimly lit pub on the outskirts of the town. One man sat at a table in the far corner of the establishment.

The front door creaked open, revealing a very fine dressed man in a heavy coat. Glancing over, he noticed the only other person in the pub. The mysterious man nodded to a waitress and steadily walked over to the other.

"I didn't think you'd come, Cornelius," the other spoke in a strong Italian accent.

Cornelius smiled lightly, placing three fingers on the brim of his hat while tipping his head. Tufts of inky black hair poked out under his hat while exposing his angular jaw and blazing red eyes. "A pleasure to see you again Lorenzo."

Lorenzo chuckled lightly. "I presume your travel was fair?"

"Yes, I quite liked the carriage. The best I've seen. Although I'm not sure that the extra security was needed."

Lorenzo motioned for Cornelius to sit and leaned back in his chair. "I was just seeing to it that you were comfortable in your journey."

Cornelius sat and neither man uttered a word for a moment, until Cornelius spoke in a low voice. "I suppose that the ball went well?"

Lorenzo squared his shoulders, leaning over the table. "Yes, it went well. No incidences yet."

"Good," Cornelius pursed his lips slightly, glancing to the waitress that had started to make her way towards them.

"Can I help you gentlemen?"

"No, thank you," Cornelius replied. She turned on her heel and briskly walked away after pouting slightly.

Cornelius drummed his hands on the table. "How is Clarice? Is she well?"

Lorenzo nodded. "She is. And what of Cynthia?" he asked, studying Cornelius's face.

"She is well."

Both men were quiet for some time again, neither of them wanting to address the reason why they were there in the first place. Then Cornelius spoke.

"Shall we...discuss the terms of our agreement?"

"Yes, that would be appropriate."

Cornelius unclasped his hands, reaching into his pocket and retrieving a parcel. It was an envelope, stamped with a wax seal.

"Here, I made sure that our agreement was detailed thoroughly," he handed the envelope over to Lorenzo, watching cautiously as he opened it swiftly and began to read the contents.

For a few moments, Lorenzo's expression had changed from stone to that of deep perplexity. "This date will not change?"

Cornelius nodded his head. "No. The agreement was to be 20 years after the birth of my child. As I would suspect, that date is indeed correct."

Lorenzo frowned sightly, puzzling over the contract. As he finished, he stole a glance to Cornelius who was waiting patiently for his final decision. He folded the paper and tucked it into his jacket, all too carefully.

"The date is correct. I just worry of it's validity in that era."

Cornelius frowned slightly. "I had the same doubts, but I can assure you, I don't plan dying before then."

Lorenzo's face lit up in glee as he laughed loudly. Cornelius couldn't help but to smile in return. After a few moments, Lorenzo's laughter died down and he patted his abdomen. "Always one for a good laugh, Cornelius. I don't suppose you'd be in need of a drink?"