Capitolo III

What? They're attacking the castle?! I could feel my heart jump in my chest as I waited for my father's reply. His posture suddenly turned rigid, a throbbing vein popping at the side of his neck. Instead of saying anything, he nodded his head while glancing around nervously. Motioning for Monticello to leave, my father braced his elbows against the table, clasping his hands.

"Father?"

His eyes caught mine, the sudden light from earlier had all but faded. "Yes, Stella?"

"Is...everything alright?"

He grimaced, suddenly rubbing his hands together, giving a small smile. "Yes, everything is fine."

I knew he was on edge, nervous. I wanted to press the matter further, but I didn't know how to say it. Why wouldn't he tell me? Had I misunderstood the conversation? 

"My Lord, if it is allowed, would you excuse me for a moment?"

Mine and my father's heads snapped towards Adrianos. 

My father nodded. "Yes," he said. "That is fine."

Adrianos rose from the table, giving a slight nod in my direction and heading out the way Monticello had. My heart still beat quickly in my chest. I wanted—needed—to know what was going on. 

"Father, I overheard what Monticello was saying. Who is attacking the estate?"

His eyes darkened slightly, a sudden weight taking over his shoulders. "A rather small band of mercenaries are outside the estate. Monticello said it was only a handful. You shouldn't be too worried, Stella. Our guards are already handling the situation."

I glanced around, worried if anyone else was hearing our conversation. It didn't seem like it. "Then...are they...part of the Medici family?"

Much to my relief, he shook his head. "Not this time. I won't discuss this further, you needn't worry."

I pressed my lips together. I knew all too well when my father used that type of tone, I should listen. I turned my attention back to my food, suddenly feeling a loss of appetite. Why did Adrianos leave? Was he off to speak to Monticello about the incident? As much as I didn't want to worry, I did. This time, it wasn't the Medici's. So who would it be?

As the night waned, I couldn't just sit still a moment longer. Despite the more lively atmosphere of the evening, I had promised Adrianos to show him around. It was better than staying here. 

"I'll be leaving then," I said. "I'll go find Adrianos."

My father and mother nodded as I left the table, my stomach churning slightly as I rose. I made my way out of the dining hall, heading towards where Adrianos had gone. As I walked down the hallway, my eyes flitted nervously to the large windows that overlooked the courtyard. There wasn't a wisp of people or disturbances outside in the dark night. The only light provided along the corridor were the old fashioned sconces lining the walls. My father had always fancied Rococo French interior design. The walls were decorated in gold leafing and swirling designs while extravagant fresco's adorned the ceiling. He said he took after the Medici family, with their intense interest in the arts. I had walked these halls so many times that the extravagance of it all faded. Not that I didn't know the value of such decorations, but that I merely was used to it. 

My feet click-clacked against the granite floors, the only sound that could be heard in my ears. As I reached a corner, I paused suddenly at the sound of a voice from farther down. It seemed to be two guards.

"–I don't think there will be any more attacks tonight. Capitano Medici and Signore Accosi took the bandits to the dungeons downstairs."