Capitolo VII

"G-get...get away from me!"

Using all the strength I had, I shoved against his chest, which felt like stone. Surprisingly, he moved away, backing against the wall. I was panting, the fear in my chest like fire. He however, had suddenly regained his composure, carefully picking up the smoldering torch. As he blew against it, the light in the corridor returned.

"What..." I swallowed thickly. "...what the hell is wrong with you?"

I was angry. Fuming, blisteringly angry. Monticello had never acted like that before and all those things that he was babbling about left me in a confusing, fiery rage.

He said nothing but stared at me darkly. The lack of explanation angered me further. Who did he think he was?!

"First of all, that was completely out of line! Second, what the hell were you talking about? What can't you tell me? And don't ignore me like you usually do, you jack-"

"Stop."

I pursed my lips tightly together, waiting for his so called explanation.

"That, was me humoring you. You contemptuous child."

My jaw dropped. Did he just...insult me? "Whoa, whoa, hold on, did you just-"

"I'm making a point, now stop your ridiculous squabbling and I'll explain." He was definitely angry. This was at least one emotion I knew Monticello had, however lacking. I still was fuming so he'd better have a hell of a good reason. 

"My point was, that even I, someone who is not even the most formidable enemy against your family can overtake you in a second. Can you imagine what kind of horrors would befall you if it was someone else? An enemy? You talk about wanting to be stronger and yet you completely disregard what the price is for that strength."

I stood there, motionless. My brain was trying to deny whatever he was saying, but he had an irritatingly good point.

"The price for vampires, is that of pain that is akin to exposing yourself to fire. A scorching, blistering hunger that's only relieved by the taste of human blood. It's days spent in the shadows to shelter yourself against the terrible sun and insufferable heat of midday. It's long, tortuous years spent living life as a slave to your thirst for blood. No food, drink or diversivo  can take that thirst away. Nothing. If I hadn't mastered self control I'd have already taken countless victims. Including you."

With every truthfully painful statement, I could feel a terrible amount of fear gathering in my chest. Monticello would never lie to me. So why was I trying to deny everything he was saying right now?

After a few moments, he relaxed some. Although his grip remained clenched around the torch. "Stella, I don't think you've ever thought about what the price is to this life. I believe you're more naive than you know."

My mouth opened and closed, wanting to form words but I couldn't speak. I wanted to fight against him, to tell him everything he said was a lie. But I was the one in the wrong. He was right, and I knew it. I just refused to acknowledge it.

"You're...you're lying-"

"I'm not."

"You don't know anything!" I suddenly shouted. As soon as it came out of my mouth, it refused to stop. Like water overflowing from a sink. "You have no idea what I want or who I am or what I've thought about! You think you know everything about me just because you've been my guardian for years but you've never even took the time to know me!"

I caught my breath, fists clenching at my sides. I didn't know why but he had infuriated me to the point where I wasn't myself. 

"Stop getting so involved in my life! I've had enough of you and your emotionless, selfish and infuriating personality!"