Capitolo X

As Monticello ran, I could hear the ever-growing noises of our chasers. They howled and screeched, the sounds ricocheting off the buildings around us. The moon had risen high over the horizon, striking white against the black of the sky. Dim street lamps barely lit our path but Monticello had no trouble finding his way in the dark. As we rounded a corner he immediately put me on my feet.

"I want you to stay there, don't move at all. Understand?"

I could feel my hands become clammy. "Uh...okay. But-"

He shushed me quickly, holding a hand over my mouth and the other in the air. After a few moments, I noticed something off about the space around us. The air started to behave as if it were plastic, like it was stretching and contracting. It shimmered for a split second and then the motions stopped. The only sound that I could hear was the intense beating of my heart and my heavy breathing. We stood there for what seemed like hours until I heard the faintest of sounds. My ears picked up a low growl coming from the other side of the wall. 

"M-Monticello..." 

"Quiet," he hissed forcefully. I removed his hand from my mouth, jaw dropping as a dark figure emerged in our line of sight.

It looked almost like the creature that attacked me in the pub, only this time, it was crouched on all fours, like an animal. Large, fine hairs stuck out from it's beastly face outlined by the moonlight. It's back rose and fell as it breathed in steadily. As it stiffed the air, Monticello pressed us closer against the wall. The creature snarled, emitting a growl that sent the hairs on the back of my neck on end. Somehow in the dark I could see how large it was. It was at least the size of a small horse. From what I could tell, it was more of an animal than the humanoid creature I saw before. It still bore a long black robe, but it was definitely more inhuman.

The monster paused for a moment, sticking up a long snout to sniff out the air and then it suddenly ran off. I was about to relax from my position when several other creatures baring the same resemblance followed suite, howling and snarling as they passed.

Monticello waited steadily, not even breathing as he peered out over the wall. He gripped my hand, pulling me along. 

"What...what did you do back there?"

Monticello scanned the street again, pulling us to the other side of the sidewalk. "I created a sense barrier."

A lightbulb went off in my head. "A sense barrier, like the ones that block off the senses? Is that why they couldn't smell us?"

"Or see us, yes. Unfortunately that wasn't their only pack. The quelli scuri will form ranks and parole the entire city. It won't be long until they catch onto our trail."

I could feel my chest tighten at the thought. I knew that Monticello was a strong fighter, but I don't think even he could take on that many beasts at once.

"What's the differences between the two? The queli scuri and Nascondere."

"The Nascondere bare more humanoid forms, but are more lethal and deadly. Quelli scuri are cousins to the werewolves. They are more like beasts than they are human. What attacked you earlier, however, was neither a Nascondere or a quelli scuri."

The statement struck fear in my heart. "Then...what was it?"

"A terrible creature that we call a Nightbearer. They are neither living, nor dead. Their only purpose is to kill. Some purebloods work to keep them as servants because only purebloods can kill or control them. We're lucky it was only a young one that attacked you, otherwise you'd be dead if I wasn't there."