5

*******************************

My body felt numb all over. My head keep chanting same prayers again and again. We were now sitting outside the Emergency Room, together with Tita Cathy and Tito Robert, Cleofe's parents. We share the same grief and emptiness that very moment. Tita Cathy was sobbing loudly beside me. Confusion is still in my mind.

What had happened to Cleofe? Is she sick? Why didn't she tell me?

I remembered the things that happened earlier. I am there, with her at the stage. Singing while Cleofe played harmoniously.

But it never occurred to me that this day, that will supposed to be Cleofe's happiest day became my worst nightmare. Cleofe suddenly went stiff and collapsed from the chair she was sitting.

My wordless thoughts were answered by Tita Cathy. I looked at her blankly.

"I've been telling her to drop to school since her condition is worsening, but she's persistent..." she began telling me, her voice almost a whisper. Anguish was written all over Cleofe's mom.

A what? Condition? What exactly is that? Is it terrible? Why she didn't tell me?

I want to shout that to her. But it would only make me look nuts. Instead, I take a deep breath and listened.

But my mind was spinning like a huge tornado now. My chest was throbbing and it feels like my heart was ready to leave my body now.

" She told me that she had to do something important.. t-t-that's why I let her stay, even until the semestrial break. Samantha..."

Tita Cathy was now crying hard.

"...she has a heart disease, and it's fatal. I am worried sick that she couldn't make it. I'm praying to God she can."