thirty seven

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN;;

*∘✧•. 2 months later *∘✧•.

He was standing behind me, his hands on my hips, his body relaxed. His smile was sexy and warned of trouble, but I had made up my mind that not all trouble was bad.

Overhead, fireworks lit up the night sky, raining streams of colour into the ocean; celebrating the beginning of a new season, autumn.

The fire department was setting off the fireworks on a dock that couldn't have been more than two hundreds yards down the beach where we stood, and I felt the boom of each one vibrate in the sand under my feet.

Waves crashed into the beach just down the hill and carnival music tinkled at top volume. The smell of cotton candy, popcorn and sizzling meat hung thick in the air and my stomach reminded me I hadn't eaten since lunch.

"I'm going to grab a cheeseburger," I told Zayn as I fixed my beanie on my head. "Do you want anything?"

"Nothing on the menu,"

I grinned, "Is Zayn Malik flirting with me?"

He kissed the crown of my head. "Not yet. I'll grab your cheeseburger. Enjoy the last of the fireworks,"

"Nu-uh," I snagged one of his belt loops to stop him. "Thanks, but I'm ordering. I can't take the guilt," He furrowed his eyebrows, and I continued. "When was the last time the girl at the hamburger stand let you pay for the food?"

"It's been awhile,"

"It's been never. Stay here. If she sees you, I'll spend the rest of the night with a guilty conscience,"

Zayn reached for the back pocket of his jeans and grab his wallet out, pulling out a twenty. "Leave her a nice tip,"

"Trying to redeem yourself for all those times you took free food?"

"Last time I paid, she chased me down and shoved the money in my pocket. I'm trying to avoid another groping,"

"Right. . ." I trailed off and thought about what he said. It sounded made up, but knowing Zayn, it was probably true.

I walked away from him to find the burger stand. When I did, I stood at the end of the line. Judging by the size of the line, I estimated a fifteen minute wait just to place my order.

After a few minutes of restless waiting, I was taking what must have been my tenth bored look around when I spotted, Harry and Rose and as soon as their eyes landed on mine, they came running towards me.

"Mia," Rose says excitedly, pulling me in for a tight hug. "I missed you,"

"We miss you," Harry corrected her and pulls me in for a hug as soon as Rose had pulled away.

"You guys didn't tell me you were here," I say, fixing my scarf. "We could've hanged out together,"

"With you and Zayn?" Harry raised an eyebrow at me. "I'm sorry, Mia, I still don't like the guy. Even if you're dating him, it won't change my views on him,"