Busted

I snapped out of my daze and attempted to put myself together. He walked towards me and put out his hand, asking for the "what's up bro" dude handshake, something I never could perfect.

"Hey man" He said, as I locked hands with him while he reached around for the one armed hug.

Huh. Success. Hard to talk over the music, I replied "Hey, what's up"

"Nothing much... I saw you from across the room looking around and I wondered if you needed anything?" His voice was smooth and laid back.

"No I'm fine. I was just tryna see if I could find anybody I knew around here."

"Did you come with anybody?"

"Yeah I'm here with my friend Maya..." I looked over and Maya was gone, probably in search of Will. "...And she just so happens to be gone" I said nervously.

"Maya Walker? Yeah I know her, Angie's friend. I'm Jay by the way."

"You know Angie? And I'm Cooper."

He laughed. "I mean considering I'm her boyfriend I guess I would know her. Speaking of her, here she comes."

We both looked over at the steps as Angie skipped down, her shoulder length blonde hair bobbing up and down. She walked over towards us and gave Jay a quick kiss, wrapping her arms around him.

'Hey babe" She said, then looked over at me. "Hey Cooper! Are you here with Maya?"

I smiled and shrugged. "She's here, but she's long gone in search of her dream man"

"Ahhh I gotta go find her! I have to introduce her to Jay. I'll see you later Cooper, have fun! Drink whatever, I don't even know where half of it's coming from" She jotted away, pulling Jay by his arm with her.

He swirled around to get a few last words in. "Nice meting you man, I'll see you around school?"

"Hopefully I will"

He smiled and gave a quick nod, following behind her.

I stood alone in the crowd of people as the loud music blared in my ear. I looked around in search of someone I knew, but in failure I headed to the fridge and grabbed a beer. I walked out the back door and sat outside under the large oak tree in Angie's back yard. There were still people around, but definitely not as many as there were inside. Out here were just couples making out up against the walls, the people that passed out on the grass, and the few people sitting in the hot tub. I put my hood up and cracked open my beer, waiting to see Maya so I could get the hell out here. It was amazing that out of the hundreds of people here I didn't want to talk to a single person. It's not that they didn't want to talk to me, it was just the idea of getting drunk and doing stupid things in front of crowds of people didn't appeal to me that much; I liked to do that on my own.

I took a deep breath and looked up at the sky. It was a beautiful night, but it was interrupted by the sudden police sirens coming from the front yard. The music cut out and people started running from every door. Fuck. I don't need this. I got up and ran with the crowd, following them in to the woods behind Angie's house. People scattered everywhere, and I looked back to see the flashlights of police chasing them in to the woods. In an attempt to hide I jumped behind a dead tree lying on the ground. Shit... where was Maya? She couldn't go anywhere without me. I had the keys. I laid there in silence until I heard someone panting and running towards me. Confused as whether it was a cop or a person, I put my head down on to the ground. They ran past me, but they tripped on a rock, sending them rolling down the hill. I couldn't see who it was through the dark and foggy pine trees. Cop or not, they looked hurt. I ran down after them to see if they were okay. To my surprise, it was Jay.