Nirvana

I pulled away and looked at my phone. “It’s only 9 o’clock, what do you want do now?”

“My parents went away again, so we could go back to my place”

“They went away again? I thought they were just gone last week?” I asked, confused.

“Last weekend was business, this weekend is their honeymoon. Either way I have the house to myself”

“Alright then, lets go”

We snuck out from under the docks and walked back to his car. I was still in shock from the fact that he told me he was in love with me… I couldn’t really comprehend why everything was moving so fast. I mean I basically saved his life, he came out of the closet to me, we lost our virginity to each other, and now we’re both in the first real relationship we’ve ever had together. But was that enough to say you loved someone?

                We got in the car and I decided to talk to him about it.

“So you really think you’re in love with me?” I said as he was buckling his seatbelt.

He looked over at me with a nervous expression on his face.

“Oh shit, did that scare you away?”

“Oh, no, not at all! I’m just not used to this yet, and it all came pretty fast… I have no doubt in my mind that I’m in love with you, it’s just I don’t exactly know what it is”

He looked away from me and I could tell he was embarrassed. “You’re right, I should have never pushed that on you so fast”

I instantly regretted saying anything.

“No Jay, it’s not your fault, I’m just honestly kind of… scared”

He reached his hand over and set it on my leg.

“Look, I’ve never done anything like this before, and I’m sure you haven’t either, but I’m determined to make this experience amazing for both of us, because ever since we started talking that night of the party I knew that there was something about you. I don’t want to mess it up”

“You haven’t messed anything up. So far everything has been great… Now let’s get outta here, your house seems more fun”

We laughed and he pulled out of the lot. He had his radio set to the sports network, which was possibly the most boring thing I’ve ever heard.

I began to play with the dial on the dashboard. “I’m sorry man but you need to get some music playing ASAP”

He laughed. “Go ahead, find something good”

I passed over the numerous radio stations and turned on 96.1, which was grunge and rock. If there was one thing I loved more than mainstream Rihanna and Lana Del Rey, it was this. The song that instantly played out of the speakers was ‘Drain You’ by Nirvana.

“Oh God, please tell me you like Nirvana” I said to him as I cranked the volume almost all the way up.

“Who doesn’t like Nirvana? If you don’t have at least one favorite Nirvana song you are NOT a true American”

He rolled down all the windows and the sunroof as we drove down the highway blasting music. This was probably my all-time favorite thing to do, and having Jay here with me to do it made it 50 times better.

“I’m declaring this our song!” He yelled over the loud guitar solo.

“Fine with me!” I screamed.

I laid back and let the night air rush past my face. This was heaven.

After about 10 minutes we arrived at Jay’s house, the gate automatically opening for his car. His house looked different at night. It was huge and white, and a red brick wall surrounded the entire thing. Lights shone up from the bottom, making the huge oak tree in the front visible and the big glass window in the front that showed off the crystal chandelier inside. He pulled in the driveway and pressed a button on his dash that opened the garage. We got out and walked through the three car garage where his car was now parked. Tools and cables lined the walls. Jesus… his garage was bigger than my entire apartment. Jay closed the door behind us and led me in to the kitchen.