The Tour and the News

I sit on the bench that is placed next to the flag, my bag between my feet. Aiden should be out any minute, I hope. School ended about ten minutes ago and I haven't seen him yet. Maybe he asked me to show around town just so he can purposely ditch me. But he's new and most likely hasn't been told about me yet, so why would he ditch? He seems like a nice guy and there's something about Aiden that makes me feel safe. I never feel safe around anyone. I wonder if--

"Hey, Annie."

I jolt, nearly slipping off the bench. I look up, my heart racing, feeling like it's going to burst. Aiden stands there with a small smile on his face. My shoulders relax, relieved that Aiden finally showed up and didn't ditch like I thought he did.

"Did I scare you? Sorry," he says, chuckling.

I stand, swinging my bag onto my back. "Oh, no, no. I-It's fine. Don't worry about it."

"So, let's go."

The first place I decide to show him is Bluejay Park, which got it's name from having an unnaturally large population of bluejays. And by the look on his face, I can tell that he is really enjoying the park. I know I do. The park is my only safe place, the only place where I can go to escape the pain and hate of the world because it's quiet and peaceful. Bluejay Park makes me feel safe and like nothing can hurt me. Since Hyate is in Minnesota, it's hard to come here in the winter without having to wear layer after layer of clothing. By the time you're dressed with enough layers, you look like a giant human marshmallow. Anyway, after showing him Bluejay Park, I show him an amazing ice cream shop called Frosty Fred's that is across the street from the park. And I show him every other nook and cranny of Hyate including stores, small restaurants, and shortcuts to places all over town.

While we walk Aiden tells me about why he moved here. He explains how his parents got a divorce and how his dad had custody of him. But recently, his father died in a car crash, so he had to move to Hyate to live with his mother. Aiden says he's really sad about his dad's death, but he's glad that his mother was able to take him in because he'd hate to live in an orphanage. My heart sinks at that comment considering I live in an orphanage, but I don't show the hurt; I've grown accustomed to not showing hurt. But then Aiden starts talking about his older brother and sister and how they're in college. Apparently his brother is going to become a lawyer and his sister is going to be a veterinarian. I can tell that he's proud of his family, that he loves them and they love him. It makes me jealous to know that while he has a family, I'm sitting at an orphanage.

So, the very last thing I decide to show Aiden is Hyate Orphanage. The grass in the yard is mostly brown and dead. The two trees that stand tall in the front are also dead, threatening to tip over at any moment. The building's bricks look ancient, discoloured, and brittle. Most of the windows on the upper floors are covered with thick planks of wood to protect the rooms from the rain and snow. Some of the other windows are covered with cracks but still manage to hold up to the rain and snow, barely. I decide not to take him inside since the condition isn't the best inside either.

"This is Hyate Orphanage," I say, lifting my arms above my head.

"Is it abandoned or something?" Aiden asks, looking the building up and down.

"Uh, no. Actually, it's not, and also--"

"Oh, Annie! I need to talk to you!" someone yells. I look over my shoulder and see that it's Joan. "I finally found a family who wants to adopt you!" Joan yells excitedly as she runs over to me. Her eyes are wide and her smile ecstatic.

"Really?" I say in utter disbelief, every other thought in my head getting tossed away.

"Wait. You live here?" Aiden asks.

I ignore Aiden's question, too caught up in the fact that I'm getting adopted. "Who adopted me? What are they like? When are they taking me home?" My mind races with millions and millions and millions of questions about the people adopting me. I think today might be the one day in my life where I'm actually happy.

"They're good people, trust me. And they'll be here tomorrow morning to pick you up," she says.

My heart races with excitement. Tomorrow morning... I have to pack my stuff up though! The only reason I'm concerned about packing is because if I don't do something while I'm thinking about it, I'll forget to do it. And I don't really want to try and pack all of my stuff tomorrow morning when I'm barely awake.

I turn to Aiden. "Well, I gotta go, Aiden. Sorry. I'll see you tomorrow at school?" I run inside before Aiden has time to answer.

In my room, I see that Joan has already packed all of my stuff for me. There are at least five or six suitcases. Thank you, Joan. I owe you one. Joan has sort of learned how I operate, so I guess she knew I'd try and put it off until tomorrow. I peek out the window, which has cracks covering it like a cobweb. I'm anxious to meet my new family. I wonder if they already have kids? Is it a single parent? Are they nice? Do they live in Hyate? I close my eyes, falling back onto the bed, which still has the sheets and comforter on it because they belong to the orphanage. I imagine my family; I imagine a tall, strong man with dark hair and eyes, a woman with blonde hair and blue eyes, and a teenage boy with dark hair and blue eyes. And I imagine them all being very nice and loving and--

I jump up, remembering something and walk into my mini bathroom. Joan's packed up my toothbrush, hairbrush, hair ties, and my medications that I'm supposed to take but don't. My bloody razor lays on the counter, right where I left it this morning. Of course Joan wouldn't pack that. I pick it up and gingerly slide it into my pocket. Biting my lower lip, I walk back into my bedroom. My heart pounds and my stomach twists the more I think about the family that's adopting me.