The Unexpected Couple

I wake in the morning to the sound of my alarm beeping. Annoyed with the sound, I reach over and smack the snooze button. My room is cold, making my body shiver and snuggle under the covers. I don't wanna get out of bed...

After a few minutes, my alarm goes off again. I groan and sit up, reaching over and flipping the off button. Knowing that I'll have to get up sooner or later, I crawl out of bed. I quickly dress in a Supernatural tee. The quote on the shirt says, "Saving People, Hunting Things, The Family Business." I also slip on a pair of jeans and a blue jacket.

I slip my hand into my jean pocket and feel the blade in my pocket. My shoulders relax. I don't know why, but I feel more comfortable with the blade in my possession. The sharp edge cuts into my finger when I run my finger along it. It makes me wince and yank my hand out of my pocket. Blood slips down my finger. Ow. I stare at the thick blood as it slips down my finger.

"Annie, they're here!" Joan says, peeking her head around the corner.

I snap out of my trance, excited, yet scared, to meet my parents. Joan helps me gather up my bags as she races down the stairs while I try my best to keep up with her. Joan has been one of the few people who has been somewhat kind to me growing up, or at least acted like she cared, and though I don't trust her very much, she's the closest thing to a friend I've ever had. But when I first arrived, Joan would constantly promise me that she'd find me a kind, loving family. Well, mission accomplished, Joan. Thank you.

As Joan and I race down the hallways, kids yell to me, "Good riddance, freak!" but I ignore them. Their words hurt right now but not as much as usual. Especially since I'm getting adopted and they aren't. It's awful for me to think that, but, hey, I've been here longer than anyone else! I deserve to be adopted. I slide to a stop in the commons, my heart shattering in a million pieces.

"What...?" I say under my breath.

Two men stand in the commons, admiring the photos on the wall. One of the men has bronze hair and the other has dark hair and vibrant blue eyes that I can see from where I stand.

I stare at Joan, surprised, my anger boiling. "You didn't tell me they were..."

Before Joan could say anything the man with bronze hair walks up and asks me if I was Annie. He has a bright, joyous smile and kind eyes.

"Um, y-yes. I am," I say awkwardly, not wanting to talk to him. I've never met a homosexual before and I was hoping I would never have to, but now I'm being adopted by two. Great... I don't want to be adopted by gays because a lot of the teachers at school say that gays are terrible. They also talk about how gays are impure and that they are bound for Hell. I guess a bit of their opinion has rubbed off on me.

"Well, I'm Mason and that's Jacob," the bronze haired man says. I notice that he has eyes as green as freshly picked Granny Smith apples.

I feign an enthusiastic smile as Mason and Jacob take my bags from Joan and I. They lead me to their truck, which is a blue 2009 Ford F150, while telling me about how excited they are to finally meet me. I start to feel terrible because they're so happy to meet me and I'm upset that they aren't straight. But I should just accept the fact that they're gay and be happy that I have a family now. Then again, why don't people just accept me? Why don't they realize that I'm a person and have feelings? I jump into the backseat while Jacob puts my bags into the back of the truck. Mason hops into the driver's seat and starts the engine while Jacob sits in the passenger's seat.

A sudden wave of confusion washes over me. When did they do the paperwork to adopt me? And pay? Then it hits me. They did all the paperwork and paid while I was at school. It would make sense. Also, this is how our orphanage is different from normal orphanages. While it may take days, or even weeks, to adopt a child at an average or extremely nice orphanage, it only takes, at the least, twelve hours. Also, in most orphanages, the person or people who want to adopt can meet the child they want and get to know them, where as here they show you our photo and tell you general information about us--age, health problems, medications, some of our habits. Sometimes kids will get to meet their family before they're adopted, but only if requested by the person who wants to adopt.