Finding Home Part 10

Chapter Nine

Andie skidded to a stop, her legs stiff from the hours she'd spent in the hospital waiting room, frozen at the sight of Diana. She lay stiffly in a bed covered with a soft, pink blanket, a wall of windows spilling light over her pale face. The room might have been cozy if Diana hadn't had wires and tubes toward her body, poison slowly dripping into her body and her arm curved protectively over her suddenly asymmetrical chest.

"Hey." Andie gave her friend's fingers a gentle squeeze. "This is going to be fine. There's nothing to be afraid of. We're going to get you better. What's wrong? Can you tell me?"

"Oh, Andie." Diana's fingers tightened until she had a death grip on her. "It's awful."

"What's awful? Does something hurt? What should I do?" Andie glanced wildly around, looking for a nurse, a doctor, someone, anyone.

Diana let out a cold little laugh and Andie froze.

"No, Andie, it's awful, I know, but my breast, I... I can't wear any of my bras anymore." And two tiny tracks of tears streaked down her cheeks.

Andie cradled Diana's hands against her face, stunned. She was her best friend; she knew everything about Diana. She of all people should have realized, should have remembered. Ever since middle school, not a day had gone by that Diana hadn't worn a pretty, lacy matching bra and underwear set. The habit had become even more important to her as she'd become an adult and taken over the orchard. She spent every day in work overalls and rubber boots, rain slickers and Carhartt pants. How many times had Diana told Andie she didn't feel like a woman without her fancy underclothes, that she didn't even feel like herself without them now? How could Andie have forgotten?

"Don't you worry, Diana," she said. "I'll take care of it today, as soon as I leave here. There's a store over in Greenfield that sells really pretty bras for people who've had mastectomies. Do you want... should I get you..." Andie trailed off, not sure how to say what she was thinking.

"A replacement boob?" Diana smiled tightly. "Yes. I don't want to walk around all lopsided until I can have my reconstructive surgery. Do you think you could go now?"

"Are you sure? I thought you wanted me to stay here with you?" Andie reached forward and tucked a long, silky strand of Diana's hair behind her ear. "I'll do whatever you want."

"I want to feel pretty again."

Andie stood, clapping her hands together briskly. "Then that's what I'll do. Lucky for you, Mrs. Brown is watching the store today. You want me to send in your mom?" Diana gave her a quick, sharp nod, so Andie spun on her heel, then paused at the door. "And Diana?"

Diana stopped fussing with the ties on her hospital gown and looked up at her. "What?'

"If you're a good little girl, and take your medicine, I'll tell you all about the date Conner and I have planned for tomorrow night."

"No! Really? A real one? I can't believe it!" And Diana smiled, a bright grin that chased away a layer of fear from her face.

"Mmm hmm. So be good!" Andie waved a finger at her like she was telling her to behave, then strode out the door. She only managed to get halfway down the hallway before she had to prop herself against a wall and fight the anxiety that wanted to swarm over her. She felt like the worse friend ever. How had she'd forgotten such a core part of Diana's personality? She should have seen it, should have realized what was happening and taken care of it. No wonder Diana had been feeling so bad since the surgery.

Andie let her head drop back against the wall, shut her eyes and willed herself to be calm. And then, she knew she wasn't alone anymore.

"Hey. What's wrong?" Conner slid his palm down her arm, all the way to her fingers, then interlaced them with hers.