Soul Mates: Happiness

SOUL MATES: HAPPINESS

          I like him.

          I really did, ever since I got to know him. I remember our first meeting; we were seatmates back then, and we weren't even that close hell, I bet he didn't know I existed! We were going to have a long test, and he forgot his pencil case at home, and he panicked. Our sensei wouldn't let students take the test unless we had pencils or pens. I let him borrow my extra pen, and I guess I kind of saved his life (well, at least that's what he said). Then, that was the time I knew his name.

          His name was Soul Evans.

          Funny, right? To not know your seatmate's name is kind of impossible but I guess it's possible to us.

          And ever since then, we began to talk. Our chats were short, but I guess it was fun because he always makes a joke or two. He had white hair swept to one side, pointed teeth, red eyes and has this natural lazy, droopy, and somewhat uninterested expression on his face. His features say nothing like him. He looked like a criminal, but he was actually a nice and funny guy.

          And then, I was beginning to fall for him without me noticing.

          But I knew I didn't stand a chance. He was popular compared to me, who was just an ordinary person whilst he was a cool guy.

          I didn't know how, but we became really close to the point people would misunderstand us for being a couple.

          Not like I had a problem with it.

          But he does.

          He liked another girl, and I knew who she was. He told me his crush while I just told him I didn't have one. It would be really awkward if I told him the person I like was him.

          Things went downhill lately, and I noticed his strange behavior. He was kind of depressed, and his eyebags were heavier and darker than before, then I asked him what happened. He looked really pitiful and I, as his bestfriend, asked him what's wrong. Bestfriend. Is that what I'll ever be to him?

          "The girl I liked dumped me." was his reply. I was alarmed by the sadness in his voice, which also caused my heart to break. Seeing him sad also makes me sad. Boy, this person really fell in love with her. I sat down next to him on the field, picking few grasses and would later throw it in the wind to see it flying. Lucky girl, was what I thought.

          "It's okay, Soul! Cheer up; there are other girls out there," was all I could say. There was a lump in my throat, and there's this aching feeling in my chest. Ugh, this is bad. My heart broke.

          This was my first small love and big heartbreak.

          "No, it's not okay. She's different." he said with anger laced in his voice, and I was taken aback. It was the first time I saw him say with such anger. Surprise was also evident on his face, and I assumed he was also taken aback from what he said. "A-ah, sorry. I didn't mean to get angry. I was just" he released a frustrated yell "I was just hurt." he was then ruffling his own white locks, causing it to be messy.

          I wish he would cheer up. But the person who could cheer him up isn't me.

          I stood up with a forced smile and said, "Uh, it's fine, really. I still have a lot to do today, so I'm going home first now. I hope you'd cheer up, Soul!" with also a forced cheery tone. I waved goodbye to him and he also said bye.

          He didn't see me shed a tear when I turned. It's not like I wanted him to see it-I'd rather cry alone than to let him see me cry.

          I thought it was fine even if it stays painful, as long as he's fine.

          I'm disappointed at myself. The most annoying thing is that I can't do anything for him, even though he's hurting, or even crying.

          As I walked back to the campus to get my things, I was losing my breath, even though I wasn't running. The world is shaking, and my body seems to be separated from my soul. Tears continued to spill from my eyes, and students were looking at me.

          I wish I could be your happiness, was the only thing I could ever think of as I grabbed my things and escaped the place where we first talked.

EDITED