Soul Mates: Life

SOUL MATES: LIFE
warning: angst and character death(s)

          Soul Eater Evans cried. He rarely cried. No, not because he missed his favorite show, nor because the pantry was empty.

          It's because she never returned.

          Some time ago, his meister had asked his permission if she can party tonight with her newfound friends, and he obliged. He was happy for her that she found new friends.

          But he wished he hadn't allowed her to go.

          Waiting for Maka patiently in the living room, he could not help but feel worried. She left at six o'clock in the evening but now, what time is it? He checked his watch. Two fifty-four in the morning. She had told him she was going home by midnight but it was waaay past it.

          Maybe...maybe something bad happened to her?

          Soul shook his head in hopes to get rid of the negative thoughts, and turned the television on instead to keep him distracted.

          As if fate was not on his side, the television was showing a news channel and he payed no attention to it. When the newscaster had said something about an accident, he immediately turned the volume in its limit. He didn't care if his neighbors would complain.

          "A girl and her friends were hit by a large truck. Witnesses say they were going to cross the street when a truck rushed towards them and hit them. Polices say the driver was drunk. The girls were immediately rushed to Death City State Hospital but one died on the arrival of the ambulance."

            His breath hitched, and his heart beated wildly in his chest. Please don't say the person's name. Please don't show the picture, he begged silently.

          "The girl was identified and her name was Maka Albarn, the daughter of Spirit, an official death scythe in D.W.M.A." and then the television flashed a picture of a smiling girl with blonde hair in pigtails and lively emerald eyes. "That is the news for tonight. This is Sandra Hitachiin, signing out." then, a commercial followed.

          It was really her. Maka Albarn; his meister; his partner.

          He slammed the television everywhere; the screen, the antenna and such. "Come on, come on...tell me you're lying."

          "Ran out of supplies? Need it immediately? Go to Death City's Wal-Mart! We've got it all for you! Open twenty-four hours a week."

          Soul Eater Evans immediately turned the television off and threw it outside the window in anger. "You useless bastard!"

          Then, he cried. Gay, it is, but he didn't give a shit.

          Soul slept on the couch that night; he cried himself to sleep. Sunlight creeped its way into the living room, and birds sang happily in the morning and because of that, he woke up.

          The door opened and his attention was directly turned there. Who would enter their—his apartment this early in the morning?

          "Morning, Soul. I'm back!" said a familiar voice. Long blonde hair in pigtails, emerald eyes...Maka. However, something was wrong about her. Staring deep into her eyes, he noticed they were lifeless and dull.

          "Maka? Is that you?" the weapon rubbed his eyes. His eyes were just teasing him early in the morning, after all, he just woke up...right?

          However, her figure did not disappear.

          "What are you saying, Soul? Of course it's me, Maka." said girl pouted. "I'm sorry I had to go without saying goodbye. It was my time, I guess."

          He held out his hand towards her; hoping to touch her, even an inch of her skin. But she was slowly disappearing like white puffs flying in the wind.

          He tugged his hair in frustration. "Fuck, fuck it all. I'm going insane. Maybe I'm hungry and I'm seeing shit. Yeah, that's it."

          Soul went to the kitchen in a slow pace, reminiscing his good memories with his partner before she 'had to go'. As he entered the kitchen, the figure was there again, near the fridge. He banged his head on the wall, in hopes of waking himself up and not imagining things. "Soul! Don't hurt yourself!" she said, her mouth pursed.

          "Are you...am I—?"

          "Yes, I'm here and no, you're not hallucinating."

          He screwed his eyes shut, tugging his hair violently in frustration. "I'm going crazy." and he opened his eyes, to see no one. "Ahahaha, I'm insane."

          He searched around the kitchen for a sharp object, and saw the knife rack. Perfect, he thought and padded across the room to get it.

          The knife was cunning; a long knife with a sharp edge and pointed it at his chest. "It's my time now. I have to go, world." he declared.

          "No, Soul! Don't do it! Live your life!" Maka appeared again, this time, in front of him, holding his hand with a deep frown. Chills ran down his spine when her hand came in contact; they were cold. "Please..."

          "Life is not life without you, Maka," he declared before pushing the knife further into his chest. "I wanna live a life...with you." were his last words before dropping on the kitchen tile with blood surrounding him.

          "...I want to live a life with you, too, Soul." Maka declared and covered her mouth with her hands, tears flowing on her cheeks.

          It was their time to go.

EDITED

♔     ♚     ♔
i'm terribly sorry for the deep angst