When you hear things, you shouldn't have

Hi Guys ^.^

Long time no update!

So today I'm treating you all to a new chapter! Aren't you lucky? 

------------------------------------------------------

The buzzed drilled and i shook myself from my reverie. I pushed back the stool and began stuffing my biology books into my bag. I sighed, placing my bag onto my right shoulder as I began to walk from the room. English was next, and since being partnered with Drake and the whole thing with our past, things were just plain awkward. As I entered the classroom, Mr Sykes looked up and smiled at me. I mentally scoffed, and with a scowl i thought don't smile at me you bastard. This is all your fault.

I plopped down into my newly acquired seat next to Drake's empty seat. Oh please for the love of God, let him be absent today, please Lord, if you have any decency let him not be in school. My scowl slowly slipped into a smile as the last few students filed into class, and thankfully Drake wasn't one of them.  Abigail shot me an inquisitive look, and I shrugged my shoulders, before collecting up the initial ideas,  he and I had about the project, into one pile. My Sykes clapped his hands and adjusted his corduroy trousers before sitting on the end of his desk.

"I want you all to continue with your projects today, and I recommend that you and your partner begin to do some work outside of class, if you want to get it finished in time." I rolled my eyes discreetly, yeah right, someone like Drake definitely wouldn't give up time outside class for a project. Looks like I'll be doing it all myself.

- - - - - - 

"You have his number right?" 

I drag my eyes away from the book I had been reading for the past twenty minutes while Abigail droned on about her new boyfriend, her new shoes or some cheesy pop song.

"Huh?" I ask, squinting as the sunshine caught my eyes. I blinked softly

"Drake's number, you have it right?" I cock an eyebrow at Abigail, before answering

"erm, what makes you think that?" I ask, placing my bookmark into my page, before stuffing the book into my bag

She fiddles with her hair for a moment, "well you guys were" She hesitates "once involved, so i just thought, that you know. You could call him about meeting up for the project" I stand up from the gravel I'd been sat in, and i pat down  the stones from my butt, before adjusting my shirt, and throwing my bag on my shoulder

"I do have it, but won't that seem a little weird?" Abigail rolls her eyes, before hooking her arm through mine

"of course not!" she says with a slight smile, although we both know that she's lying. She has that stupid smirk on her face, that's so cheesy but whatever. 

I pull my phone from my butt pocket, tapping it lightly against my palm, the surface of the book was cool - a plain baby blue phone case covering the back cover. 

"I can't believe you're making me do this!" I whine dramatically, huffing my bangs out of my eyes. 

"well either you do it, or i call him up saying you have a huge crush on him. Your choice" she drawls, before pulling her sunglasses onto her eyes, and poking her tongue out at me. 

I scroll through my contacts, letting drake's name become highlighted for a few moments before i hit the call button.

The phone rings for a long time, and i look at Abigail, and raise an eyebrow

!I told you this was a bad idea" I mouth, rolling my eyes dramatically

Abigail lets out a sarcastic yawn, before poking her tongue out at me. i really did have a charming, childish and attractive best friend. 

I'm about to hang up when there's a crackling noise and then in a soft voice I've never heard him use before, I hear the words

"Hey Talbot" 

It takes me a moment to react before i clear my throat slightly

"erm, Hi. Look we need to work on our project, and since you weren't in today, we're behind everyone else. So do you want to meet up after school today?" 

There's a slight pause on the line, and then he chuckles

"Is this you inadvertently asking me on a date?" I can tell by his tone that he is smiling, the kind of smile that dances in those beautiful chocolate brown eyes of his. No I did not just call his eyes beautiful, you misheard. 

"Oh shut it Mercer. Not every girl in the district wants you. So get over yourself" I snap, and Abigail gives me a look that says be nice or else.

I roll my eyes at her, before waiting for Drake's response, he doesn't reply

"well...." I drawl

I hear him speak but it's muffled, as if he has his hand over the phone 

"Dad, i know we don't have a lot of time left together, but it's important. it's for school"

Then a deeper tone, his dad's voice. "I want to spend more time with you, before it's too late."

Drake sighs, "I know dad, but please"

His father seems quite angry when he answers "Fine, but there's not much time left" 

My eyes widen, maybe i shouldn't be listening, i mean not much time left for what? My head is reeling with possibilities, not much time until they go on vacation? Not much time until his father's leaving for work? Not much time until ... what? I knew these were kind of stupid ideas of what there was not much time left for, but i never imagined it to be anything too serious.

And then the next word, I hear shock me and now, they're too muffled so I can't quite tell who says them, which make them more shocking and the impact of the words even more surprising.

"I'm sorry we don't get to spend much more time together before you die" 

My breath catches in my throat, it feels like a bucket full of cold water has been tipped over my head, and I can almost feel the cold droplets cascading down my face.  I can't listen much longer, if i listen any longer  I think I'll be sick, I can feel my stomach churning, like the butterflies in my stomach weren't fluttering - they were in a full out war.

I hit end on the phone call. My mouth puckered into an o. Some things you just wish you hadn't overheard.