He does, in fact, possess a heart

Author's Note;;

Hi guys. Long time no write. A lot of you have been nagging me to write something, but, I'm suffering from writer's block. I really don't know where to go with this story. So sorry if this chapter sucks. Excuse the mild language (swear words).

Also, would you consider looking at my other book 'Hanging On To Life By A Thread' ? It'd mean a lot to me

Enjoy

--------

It felt like I'd been slapped in the face or run over by a train. I hate Mr Sykes, I hate Mr Sykes. I HATE HIM.

I turned away from the notice board, my teeth gritted so hard together that I'm surprise they didn't chip. I threw Mr Sykes, then Drake, an evil glare as I made my way to my seat. I mean seriously, what is it with guys and pissing me off. I impatiently clicked the end of my pen, repeatedly. I could feel anger starting to course through my veins, causing me to click the end of the pen, more quickly than before. 

Mr Sykes clapped his hands, before adjusting his hat and he then cleared his throat. 

"Sit in your partners please, you will have this lesson to begin initial planning"

My eyes shot straight to Drake, and I fixed him with a meaningful stare, that was saying SHIFT YOUR ASS AND SIT OVER HERE. He smirked, the light dancing in his eyes mischievously. My heart gave a thud and I'm pretty sure my heart rate increased, as much as I wanted to forget my past with Drake, my heart remembered everything, even when all he did was look in my direction.

I shook my head, clearing myself of  thoughts of him and I. My gaze shot back to him though, and I noticed he still wasn't moving. Gritting my teeth I stood up, slinging my satchel over my shoulder before weaving in and out of the desks. I plopped down next to him, my mind sending me a message of;

DON'T TALK TO HIM. DON'T TALK TO HIM. DON'T TALK TO HIM.

"Try not to look too happy Talbot" He murmured, his breath warm on the nape of my neck, his voice like smooth caramel. 

Instinctively, my heart hammered at my nickname. Only he'd ever called me Talbot, it was special, like we used to be. Before I knew it my head snapped towards his, my eyes locked into his, our mouths just inches from each other, "Cut the crap Mercer, you better work your ass, If my point average slips, you better transfer schools" I say, my voice sharp and icy.

His eyes widen and I notice his grip tighten around the table. His knuckles turned white, and looked as if they were about to pop out of his skin, like a movie effect in a bad zombie film. I struggle to breath, wondering if he was going to lash out and hit me. For a few moments, I wonder if this will be a repeat of history, a repeat of the argument. I wonder if he does possess a heart, wonder if he has a  conscience, knowing that he's hurt me before, knowing he was about to hurt me again. I watch as anger flickers in his eyes, his arm jerks, as if it is about to cause serious damage, but he doesn't move, I assume he calms down, at least I hope he has.

.....................................

The rest of the hour flew by pretty quickly, after my outburst, we'd already drafted things out, although Drake and I still seemed quite awkward. It was like we were on a tightrope, one slight wobble or mistake could make this relationship, if that's what it even is, more awkward. 

To say we were both relieved when that buzzer sounded was an understatement. I suddenly felt like a weight had been lifted off my chest, that I could finally breath. The rest of the class headed for the door, relieved that the day was over. I was about to leave, That was until Drake lightly tugged on my arm, 'Talbot, wait'. He paused and watched Mr Sykes who raised his eyebrows and then discreetly left the room, before looking at me again.

"Holly, I don't want things to be awkward, it's just I'm sorry. I'm Sorry for what happened to us before, and I'm sorry things didn't work out" I thought he'd finished, as he swept out of the classroom. I began to follow, wondering if i should've said something, but  then I heard him murmur under his breath 'although i wish they did'. 

I stopped in the hallway, the words clogging in my throat. Instead I Just stood there like it was impossible for me to move, like I was dead or something. I took a moment, my cheeks flushed pink, my breath sawing in and out of my lungs like a knife, as if he'd just stabbed me when really he'd said what I'd always thought, before I'd moved on. Realisation soon dawned on me, this "relationship" just got more awkward. And it turns out Drake Mercer did, in fact, posses a heart.