English Class

Author's Note

Hi everyone! Not quite sure how to proceed, and would appreciate if you could recommend this story to friends, and get them to fan me? As I don't really want to write loads if no one is going to bother reading it.  Anywho, thanks ilurvbatman for providing us with a name and looks of our mysterious boy!!!

- - - - - - - - - -  Holly's p.o.v

A harsh bell rang, snapping me out of my reverie, the sound making my ears hurt and my brain feeling like it was put a blender. I felt dazed like I had sunstroke or had eaten too much sugar. My head felt swimmy  like I was giddy and my heart was pounding. My eyes darted to the clock, surprised to see that my time in detention was up, I was free to go, next lesson awaited. I just couldn't believe this was my first day back at school of the new term. I groaned.

I gathered my belongings, stuffing them back into my satchel. I escaped quickly, weaving through the desks and out of the door before Drake made the connection, and realised that we'd known each other. 

I ambled down the corridor that was packed with bodies much like an over-crowded nightclub - sweaty and many of the residents intoxicated.  I darted between the surge of people, my body colliding with backpacks and hard muscles of football players. 

I skidded to a stop in front of my locker, fumbling with the combination. I finally opened it, and grabbed my English file. I took a moment to glance at the photo that was taped inside the door. The picture was faded and was of three children- two girls and a boy. One of the girls had red hair, while the other had dark. The boy had a mop of curly dark hair, and had his arms swung around the girls. I gaze fondly at the picture, remembering the day it was taken. The day before Drake changed. 

-----------------------------------------

I glanced at my new timetable, and gently pushed open the English classroom door, my new English teacher Mr Sykes glanced at me, a smile on his face, 

"Ahhh, Miss Talbot, how nice of you to join us" He says with a grin and a sly wink, and I hurry to my seat, sinking down next to Abigail. 

"Hi" I whisper, she smiles back, and I get out my necessary supplies for the lesson.

Mr Sykes began to call the register and I raised my hand when he called Holly, before accepting  me a sheet of paper with our new and first assignment printed on it, passed to me by Jake, the boy who sat opposite me and also he was Abigail's boyfriend.

It read as follows;;

In class we have been studying the novel 'Of Mice and Men'.  You and your partner will be assigned a character and a theme to complete your work on. This assignment will contribute to 75% of your overall English mark for the year. The assignment consists of the following;

~  Two essays - one on your character, the other on how the author conveys your theme.

~ A  visual presentation - either a PowerPoint, poster or movie- conveying your opinion of the three most important characters and the most important theme

~ Finally - a presentation must be given to the class and can be conveyed in a way of your choice e.g. video, spoken presentation and other ways.

I rolled my eyes at the number of times Mr Sykes had written the word conveyed, and I smiled, I should ace this exam. 

I smiled at Abigail and mouthed 'Partners?' She nodded but our happiness was short lived.

Mr Sykes stood up from his desk, adjusting his tie and ruffling a hand through his hair. 

"Now to assign you all your partners."

Several groans echoed around the room, and my head slumped causing my glasses to cascade down my nose. I quickly pushed them up, watching as Mr Sykes grabbed a sheet, and pinned it to the notice board at the front.

"You may find out your partners."

I heaved a sigh, pushing my body from the chair, as I fiddled with a lock of my red hair. I waited for the throng of people to move from the noticeboard, and I saw Abigail give me a pitiful glance. Oh gosh, I'm going to be stuck with that Sam boy who had corn stuck in his braces. My eyebrows knitted together in confusion, as I stepped up to the board, running my finger down the long list of names. I suddenly stopped seeing my name and one next to it.  The name next to it was much worse that Sam corn boy.

It read....

Holly Talbot & Drake Mercer

-------------------------------------

BA BA BOOM!!

WERE YOU EXPECTING THAT?