Four

I walk into the school, ignoring people as always. But, more eyes are on me then usual. And I get a lot of weird stares. I roll my eyes, walking to my locker. As I turn the combination on the lock, I feel a hand on my waist. I jump, my elbow juts backwards, hitting whoever it was in the stomach.

"Ugh..." I hear a familiar male voice groan. I turn around, crossing my arms.

"Really Ryder? What is it with you and touching me from behind?" I bend down to his level. He looks up from his crunched up position, blushing. I shake my head.

"What is it that you need from me?" I sigh, helping him up by the hand. He grunts, standing up wearily.

"I was going to ask you if you wanted to go somewhere later. But, I'm afraid that you'll have an alternative way of saying no." He weakly smiles. I shift my weight onto one leg. "Did anything I texted to you go through your thick skull?" I knock my fist on his forehead lightly.

He shrugs. "Probably not."

I bite my lip, feeling a smile make it's way onto my features. "Well, I said no and I'm about to say again. Oh, here it comes! NO." I sarcastically smile, turning back to my locker.

"Oh, come on. You can't hide forever, Aspen." He pleads. I raise my eyebrows, pausing. I turn back to him, "What makes you think that I'm hiding?"

"Everything you do. I know that's not the real you, Aspen. You told me yourself. I want to know who the real you is. I've seen another side of you before...him," He blushes, scratching the back of his neck,"The happy side. Always smiling, laughing, giggling, with your friends, out at parties. And if this isn't you: The dark side, wears black everyday, no makeup, combat boots, won't let yourself smile, rare laughs. Then, I want to know who it is. You can't fake for much longer." He brushes a piece of hair out of my face.

I swat his hand away, feeling something bubble up in my stomach. Greg used to do that to me all the time when we were...together. I furrow my eyebrows, wanting to be out of this situation ASAP.

"I can 'fake' for as long as I want. As I suspected, you're not going to let this go. I have no choice then to prove it to you." I play with my hoodie strings subconsciously.

He smiles,"So what does that mean?" I look away, emotions overcoming me quickly. "My house after school. Meet me in the parking lot." He celebrates in some odd way, then hugs me, my arms stiff at my sides.

"Don't touch me." I shove him off forcefully.

"Right." He blushes. "See you then." He runs off down the hallway. As I regain my dignity, I look back to the hallway. The same amount of stares as when I walked in.

"Go to class!" I roll my eyes, turning back to my locker for the fourth time.

x

I lean my back against my car, waiting for Ryder to come out the school building. He comes out the double doors, bouncing down the steps. He walks straight in front of me.

"Hi." He smiles. I roll my eyes, getting in the front seat. He closes the door for me, walking to the passenger seat. I lowly growl, I have nothing bad to say about him so far.

"So we're going to yours?" He clicks the seat belt, adjusting the seat to accommodate his height and long legs. He takes a while to get it how he wants. I wait for him to finish.

He stops, sighing and looking forward.

"Want some peanuts or some seltzer water?" I sarcastically smile, starting the car. "Actually, some regular water would be fine." He cheekily smiles. I roll my eyes for the millionth time, pulling off the school's parking lot.