Five

After moments full of small talk and failed attempts to make me laugh, I pull into my driveway. I sigh, pulling out my key and unbuckling my seatbelt. Ryder looks up through the windshield, confused but amazed.

"Is there something you need to say?" I blandly say, sitting still. He turns to look at me then looks up at the house again.

"You live here?" He gapes. I roll my eyes, "No. I just took you to a stranger's house to get rid of you." He pays no attention to my sarcastic comment, just glaring at the house like he expects to win a staring contest.

"Whose winning? You or the house?" I huff, getting out the car. I slam the door shut accidentally, but it doesn't phase Ryder in the least. After getting my bag from the trunk, I just walk in the house, purposely locking the door. It's only to see what he'll do. If he comes out of the car before it heats up, that is.

I swing my backpack off my shoulder and toss it in my living room, moving onto the kitchen. I grab a banana before hearing a knock at the door. I groan, now realizing that I have to go get the door.

"Who is it?!" I yell then take a bite of my banana.

"Your baby daddy." I hear practically hear the irritation in his voice.

"Which one?" I smile to myself. Thankfully, he can't see me behind closed doors. Heh, get it?

He groans before knocking again. He bangs on the door twice, giving me all the more reason to not answer the door.

"Whose there?" I chomp my banana again.

"Ryder." He whines. I hear a slam on the porch and I open the door without letting him in, only to see what it is. I don't see anything broken that I could possibly care about so I close the door in his face.

"Oh, come on!" He yells through the door.

I open the door again, taking another bite of my banana. I don't open it fully, just enough so he can see my body but nothing behind the door.

"Hello, sir. May I help you?" I put a fake smile on my face.

"Are you going to let me in or am I gonna be standing here all day?" He rolls his eyes. I shrug,"You don't have to stand there all day."

He looks up expectantly.

"I mean, like, you could go home, to the park, the library, In-n-Out - " While I'm listing places, he pushes the door open, making me lose my grip on my banana and it slips out my palm. He walks right on top of the banana peel and falls backwards, landing on his butt, only to roll on his back.

I try my hardest not to laugh but his face was too priceless, he was obviously stunned and confused. As he looks around for clues of what just happened, I'm laughing and harder than I have in a long time.

Tears roll down my cheeks as I grip my knees, bending over. I try to catch my breath but his fall keeps replaying in my mind and it only makes it harder to breathe. I notice a smile on his face before I close my eyes tight, laughing so hard it hurts to keep my eyes open.