Chapter Eighteen

I had a few small coins in my pockets, and my friends each had a bit of money as well. "Daffenfire might not have a market," said Channing, "but no matter how big and important a city thinks it is, it's always got a center."

That clever cousin of mine. Of course he was right.

It took us a while to find the center, naturally. We kept getting distracted. There were so many new things to marvel at, so many sights to adore. I was fascinated by all of the windows I saw. So much glass! In the North, glass cost too much; our windows were just small holes in the walls.

Upon Emmy's insistence, we entered a dress shop. A bell chimed as we stepped in through the little door, and the shop unfolded around us, vibrant with color. I felt as if I'd fallen into the heart of a rainbow. The floor was gleaming white marble, as delicate as porcelain, adorned with intricate gold filigree that swirled beneath our boots. Dress forms dotted the room, each one wearing a beautiful ball gown. The towering walls were lined with bolts of silk-cherry red, pastel yellow, robin's-egg blue, deep violet. The sunlight, sparkling over the radiant swaths of cloth, dazzled my eyes.

Women milled here and there; I could easily discern which were the customers by the glamorous, elaborate outfits they wore. The dress shop workers, in contrast, wore simple white knee-length dresses with brightly colored aprons-blue, pink, yellow. Each had a matching ribbon in her hair.

"Amazing," I breathed.

Emmy sighed dreamily, shoulders falling. "I wish I could get a dress."

Lily snorted. "A gown here probably costs more than the Queen's own crown."

"It can't hurt to look around," I said. "We'll look for the city's center afterward." Maybe I'd come across a pretty silk ribbon that I could afford. They seemed to be in style here in the South.

We split up, wandering the shop. I'd never known that it was possible for clothes to be so, so... I couldn't even think of a word for it.

"Can I help you, miss?" asked a gentle voice. I turned to see a dark-haired girl behind me, wearing a white dress and a blue apron.

I smiled. "No, I'm all right. Just looking. It's all so...pretty."

The girl dimpled and nodded. "Yes, it is, isn't it? I'll never be able to afford a gown as expensive as the ones we sell here, but it certainly is a privilege to be allowed to make them. Although, I must admit, you wouldn't believe the cramps my hands get after hours of sewing."

"It must be difficult," I agreed. She was the only Southerner I'd ever met who wasn't arrogant and haughty. "What's your name?"

She curtsied. "Mira, miss. And yours?"

"I'm called Bird."

"Bird?" She laughed at that. "A pretty name. I've never heard it before."

"I'm..." I hesitated. "Not from around here."

She laughed again. "I know that, silly! I like your accent. I wish I could talk like that. It sounds quaint, like a person in a fairytale."

"Mira!" a voice called from across the shop. "Come here, and quick! Mistress Devyra needs us."

"Coming!" Mira shouted back, cupping her hands around her mouth. She turned to me and winked. "Goodbye, Miss Bird. I love your eyes!" Then she raced off.

A self-conscious blush spread across my face. I'd never noticed my eyes much before. Are they pretty? It suddenly mattered to me. Of course they aren't, I thought gloomily. Never have been. A new thought popped into my head like a spark of flame. Lily's eyes are nicer than mine. I frowned. Where was Lily?

I followed the sound of her confident, cheerful voice until I found her and Channing walking near the wall of silks and satins. Two young women in green gowns stood nearby, tittering over some unknown bit of gossip.

I started towards them, but I was interrupted by a piercing shriek.

Everything happened at once. Lily had accidentally bumped into one of the green-gowned women, who lost her balance and toppled against the wall, instantly upsetting an entire row of bolts. Like dominoes, every single roll of cloth hanging there began to fall.

I stumbled back as the bolts clanged and clattered to the ground, rolling, bouncing, cloth unfurling in huge heaps. Lily cried out and fell, throwing up her hands to defend herself. My friends were swiftly buried under the tumbling sea of metal and fabric.

"Lily! Channing!" I exclaimed, eyes wide. I rushed forward, trying to navigate the mess, and instantly tripped on a haphazard bolt. I hit the ground hard. The impact knocked the breath right out of me, leaving me stunned for a moment. Finally, I managed to prop myself up and look around, searching worriedly for my friends.

Channing shoved a roll of silk aside and pulled Lily to her feet. There was a bruise on her head where one of the metal bolts had hit her. She swayed, and Channing held her up. "Are you all right?" he asked with concern.

She blinked a few times. "Yes, yes, I'm fine."

They stared at each other for several heartbeats. A slow smile crept across my face as I watched them, and the recognition dawning in their eyes showed that they'd just realized how long they'd been standing there. Lily's face reddened, but Channing showed no intention of letting her go.

He grinned. "Lily," he said, "I really, really like you."

She smirked and grabbed the collar of his shirt, planting a kiss on his cheek. His face went white with shock. "Prove it," she said, easily pulling herself from his arms and gliding away.

Channing remained where he was, frozen, gaping after her. It was a long time before he noticed me sitting nearby, unable to tame the huge smile on my face.

"Oh," he said lamely. "Um, hi, Bird."