Chapter Forty-Four

You have beautiful eyes.

I gasped, lurching awake. My vision flashed to life, like a match struck in a dark room.

"Bird!" It was Jasper, hovering over me, emanating concern and fear and anger all at once. His dark hair was disheveled. "Stay awake, Bird, you need to stay awake. Look at me."

We weren't alone—I was on a small bed, surrounded by people and voices and motion. Channing, Lily, Emmy. I sensed a quietness, and a faint memory of a violin's mournful song. Melody?

I could scarcely keep myself from fading back into the darkness. "It's too bright..."

"You have my sympathy, but right now, I really don't care. If you close your eyes and lose consciousness again, you will die. Now look at me."

I forced myself to stay awake, focusing on the details of his face—the slope of his nose, the little freckle on his cheek, the downy softness of his hair.

"There was an arrow," I said slowly, tiredly, "an arrow in my chest." My brow furrowed. "I...I should be dead."

Jasper cracked a grin, though his eyes still held a spark of turmoil. "Yes, you would have been. It's a good thing you've got a wizard on your hands."

"Give her some space," muttered Ash's voice, "you're practically crushing her." Jasper's form receded from my limited, shaky view, and I glimpsed Ash looking at me anxiously. "Are you all right? Emmy told me what happened. I'm so sorry, Bird."

My head pounded, but I managed a weak laugh. "Don't be sorry for me, I'm all right now."

The worry didn't leave his face.

Someone gripped my hand. "Bird?" asked Melody.

Ugh. Everything ached. "I'm here."

"Emmy said you were hurt," said Melody, swallowing and lowering her eyes, "because you were looking for me. And I, I feel..."

"It wasn't your fault."

"I should have been there. Maybe I would have been struck and not you."

"Hey," I said, frowning, "listen, I'm alive. I'm going to be fine. Don't wish it another way, because if it had happened any differently, someone could be dead right now."

She nodded and gave a fleeting smile.

Jasper snapped his fingers. "I need you to stand up," he said. "We have to get your blood circulating properly." He rested his hands on my shoulders. I could feel the warmth of magic pressing into my skin. "Can you sense that? It'll keep you on your feet and prevent nausea."

"Thanks," I said, carefully sitting up. Channing helped me out of the small bed. I looked around; my vision was improving, widening, and I could see my surroundings. I'm in the apothecary, I realized. They really did think I was going to die.

Of course we did, said a wry voice in my head.

I shot Jasper an alarmed look. He didn't even glance my way. Had I imagined the voice? I must have. I don't...think Jasper can use telepathy.