Chapter Thirty-Five

I sand for them a while longer, until a last the banquet was at an end. The noblemen and women took their leave, and some came to me as they departed, grasping my hands and praising my skill and even giving me small coins for my performance. I couldn't wipe the huge smile from my face.

I could do this forever, I realized. I hadn't noticed until then, but I had loved singing for the dinner guests. I'd gladly do it again—I'd gladly spend my entire life as the court songstress.

I looked up as a tall man, much taller than I was, stopped before me.

He wore fine attire of silver and red, and his eyes were cold and calculating. His face appeared friendly, but there was something about him that gave me chills. Over his heart was stitched a black swan, the Queen's crest.

"Lady Songbird," he said, bowing. I had never heard a voice like his—deep, melodic, confident, assertive, powerful. A voice like his could bring armies to their knees, could convince even the most stubborn of roses to bloom. "I am honored to make your acquaintance at last." He met my eyes. His were as pale as winter. "Commander Vang. At your service."

My eyes widened slightly. "Oh. Thank you, Commander."

He straightened. "I've heard quite a bit about you. Most impressive, your journey from the North. There are many rumors but I meant to ask you about it myself."

I smiled weakly. "Well, it wasn't easy. It's been months since we left."

"And by we, you mean your companions. Where are they now?"

I faltered. It took me a moment to find my voice. I looked away. "With the many others I've failed to save."

I looked to him again, and he smiled, though it didn't reach his eyes. "Don't lose hope," he said. "You're a girl of many wonders, some of which are still yet to be discovered." His voice quieted, and it was as if he was speaking to himself. "I wait with much anticipation to see what you will become."

He drew himself up and nodded formally to me. "I wish you luck here in the Deep South, Lady Songbird. Choose your loyalties carefully."

With that, he left.

~~~

I knocked, listening to the quiet echo that traveled throughout the wood of the door. It was a shy sound, vanishing as quickly as it had come, like a morning mist.

I heard a crash and some muffled thumps. Melody didn't respond.

"Princess?" I called, frowning. I knocked again. "Princess!"

Thud. There was a brief scream.

I opened the door—and a roaring stream of fire rocketed past my face.

I shrieked and ducked. A dark blur shot over my head—a jumble of wings and claws. Thunk. The blur slammed into the partly-open door, knocking it shut and sealing me inside.

I scrambled frantically away as the creature snarled and launched itself into the air again. "Melody!"

"Bird! Stay down!" shouted Melody, crouching behind the bed. She hurled a pillow at the creature, but missed.

"Are you holding a fire poker?!"

"Never mind that! Take cover!"

I dove under the desk just as the creature loosed another gasp of flame into the air. A corner of the bed sheets caught fire. I looked around and saw that vases had been knocked over and shattered; ink pots had been swept to the ground, their contents splashing everywhere; on the nearby bookshelf, old tomes were quickly turning to ash.