Chapter 3: Explode

"You can't try to destroy it! You'll lose everyone on this base if you do," The Doctor said, rushing to the door to look out the tiny window. He circled back and stood in front of Commander Marques looking him dead in the eye. The commander looked away and nodded at one of the soldiers, who exited the room.

"Commander Marques, everyone will die if you try to destroy that creature! It's impossible. Please, I'm begging you-- evacuate and lock down!" The Doctor grabbed both of the commander's shoulders and gave him a moment to answer. Commander Marques took a breath and I looked at The Doctor in suspense.

"Arrest them."

Two guards came for each of us, grabbing me by the arms, the same with The Doctor. We were escorted out of the room and down more dark chambers, coming to a metal door at the end of a hall.

"Please, you have to listen to us!" I begged, to no avail.

"Everyone will die! You have to go now!" The Doctor struggled to get his point across as well. No one was listening. Our warnings were pointless.

A third soldier opened the metal door and the two guards shoved us in. The door slammed and bolted behind us, and I shot up to the handle.

"You have to let us out! You have to listen to us! You're all going to die!" I screamed. Through the tiny window, I could see all three guards leave. I pounded the door until my fists were red and throbbing, but no one was coming back. The Doctor and I were stuck in this military base and we were probably going to die along with everyone else. I was useless in this situation. I didn't even know how I got here. I didn't even know the man I was with for more than two minutes before I was embarking on a grand adventure with him. I was hopeless.

"It's no use," The Doctor said quietly. I turned to him.

The Doctor was sitting against the wall, playing around with something that looked like a pen with a light at the end. I went over and sat next to him.

"What's that?" I asked. He drew a breath and turned to me.

"Oh, this old thing?" he frowned, not in a sad kind of way, but a pondering kind of way. "It's my sonic screwdriver."

"Sonic screwdriver?" I asked. I reached for it. He let me hold it. As I examined it, he explained it to me.

"It helps me out in all kinds of situations." He reached for it and I handed it back to him.

I leaned my head back against the wall and sighed.

"I'm no help. Why'd you drag me along?" I turned my head to him and he smiled, still messing with the sonic screwdriver.

"You seemed like the perfect person to go adventuring with."

I blushed and went back to staring off into space. I felt at ease somehow, in this dark room, with this handsome man. Even though I was miles away fron home, under arrest in a top secret military facility with a electrical alien creature on the loose, I was at ease.

I rose to my feet and began to explore the room. There was a metal examining table in the middle of the room, and a counter on the wall oppisite of the door. I walked over to the counter and found that there were several scalpel-like tools and picked one up, turning it in my hand. Just as I was about to set it down, my hand slipped, and I cut my finger.

"Mm, ouch..." I said, holding some pressure on it.

"Here." The Doctor was behind me holding medical tape in his hand. He tore off a piece and gently held my hand, wrapping the tape around my finger. It quickly became saturated in blood. I looked up at him and our eyes locked. My face flushed quickly as I noticed the sparkle in his dark eyes.