Chapter 1 | The Beast of Oakland High

Four Years Later...

A girl popped her neon pink bubble gum, her eyes wide in amazement and awe. She was staring straight ahead toward the school parking lot, frozen in disbelief.

"Who are they?"

Without looking, I knew exactly who she was talking about, and why her reaction was so stunned. She was probably a rising freshman, who just didn't know about the boys yet. It was orientation day; I didn't blame her. After the next two months of summer were over, she'd be ogling over them all day.

There were only two people in this school who freshman would stop and ask about, and ask if they were them. They would as if those two boys were the jock and the badass. They would ask if they were the hottest guys at school, if they were single, and if they always looked yummy.

The answer to their questions was always yes.

I turned to look at the guys, watching them from a distance. Instantly, I was rapt as well.

One of them was wearing a tight white t-shirt, a varsity jacket, and light blue jeans. You could see his athletic body through his shirt, and could only imagine what it would look like bare. His eyes were a dark shade of gray, and his hair was styled, up in a crop. It was obvious that he worked hard to make his hair look as great as it did, and the style suited him seamlessly. His face wore a bright grin as he stepped out of his black viper. Derek

The other one was the taller, more muscular one of the two. His body was lean, strong, and well built. He had dark hair, which looked clean and disheveled, along with piercing hazel eyes. With a strong jaw line, high cheekbones, and a clear, smooth face, he was undeniably attractive. A smirk played along his lips, teasing everyone unconditionally. To add on to that, not only was he ridiculously handsome, but also one of the richest at our school. His face always held an arrogant and absolutely stunning smirk, something he was known for.

Vince Mascars, often referred to as "the Beast of Oakland High School," was our resident bad boy.

I gazed at him. His hand ran through his seemingly soft hair, looking around at his admirers. For a split second, I could swear that he glanced at me and kept eye contact, until Derek clamped a hand on his back and urged them to go inside. My heart sped up as I watched them go, leaving me to frown at my reaction.

I heard a dreamy sigh from my left. Savannah, my best friend, was eyeing Derek wistfully.

"He's so gorgeous," she whispered, keeping her eyes trailed on him. "Just perfect."

"Oh, come on," A whine erupted from my right. I turned around and found Jared, another close friend, pointing daggers at Vince. "What's so great about that kid, Vince? He came to our school halfway through sophomore year, never bothered to talk to anyone else, has like no friends-"

"Except Derek!" Savannah squealed, clasping her hands together.

Jared's head whipped over to Savannah. "Wait, you're after Derek? Since when?"

I rolled my eyes and nudged my way forward, my steps pointed at the school building.

"Of course, I'm after Derek," Savannah exclaimed, lightly punching Jared on the shoulder. "Why would I be after anyone else? Vince Mascars is absolutely gorgeous, but he's just too...bad."

"Too bad?" Jared questioned. "He's called the Beast. What did you expect?"

My forehead wrinkled in thought. "What's his full name?"