Chapter 14 | Baby Eli | Part 3

"Oh, God," I muttered, unbuckling my seat belt to rush to help him. Vince was hot at my heels, his eyes anxious as he watched the boy.

Once I was close enough that Elijah would listen to me, I called him out. "Eli!"

Elijah turned to look at me, tears dripping down his face. "Z-Zoe?"

"Hey buddy," I leaned down to meet his level, my eyebrows creased in worry. "What's going on? Are you locked out?"

He nodded, his eyes watering more heavily now. "Mommy won't open the door."

I glanced at his empty driveway, immediately realizing that his mother simply wasn't home. It was four in the evening and Elijah was one of six kids -- his mother must have forgotten him at home while she ran out for an errand.

I reached my hand forward to wipe his frightened tears, anything to calm him. The poor boy was so frightened, he was shaking. "I'm sure she's just out somewhere. Do you want to come over to my house? I can give you something to eat, and we can call your mom to let her know where you are."

I knew Elijah's family well enough that I knew his mother would be relieved to know that I took him in, rather than let him cry outside.

Eli nodded, his tears slowing down. Smiling, I stood up and held out my hand for him to grab, before looking up at Vince.

Vince had stoic expression on his face. Something almost indescribable. His eyes were unfocused, staring into the distance, a pang of despair dripping in them. His face was blank, not quite at ease, but almost expressionless.

"Vince?" I called, confused at his state. "Are you okay?"

He eyes flickered to me, holding onto a final drop of agony. Without responding, he walked forward, closer to me, and stared me straight in the eyes.

"Thank you," he finally breathed, taking a few moments. "Thank you, Zoe, for helping this boy."

My lips parted in confusion, even further. "No problem?"

He held his gaze for a few more moments, then turned to go to his car. Before he stepped back into the driver's seat, he turned to look at me again, anguish still painted in his eyes. And again, he looked away and sat in his car, started the engine, and buckled his seat belt.

With Elijah's little hand in mine, I watched in confusion as Vince Mascars drove away. I could almost swear I saw a tear in his eyes. 

Author's Note

Please don't forget to give this vote if you think it deserves it!

Edited: July 23, 2020