Chapter 15 | Silly Old Board Games | Part 2

I bounced down the stairs, "silly old board games" in my arms. With an excited smile, an oversized t-shirt, and baggy pants, I was ready to kick my brother's butt and win. It had been almost a year since Zach and I had actually done something together, let alone actually had fun. I couldn't wait for the laughter and competition that sparked between us, or the moments when Zach would trick me and cheat, or when I would fake crying and make him get me ice cream.

"Okay," I started, grinning as I walked towards the living room, where Zach sat with his phone, on the couch. The second I walked in, he shut the screen off and turned to me. "I brought Clue, Mono--"

"Zoe," Zach cut me off. "I don't think I can play any board games tonight."

I blinked. "What?"

"I might have to leave in a few minutes. I tried to get out of tonight, but it looks like I really can't. I'm still trying to push the time back, as to when I'll have to leave, but if I don't leave in twenty minutes, I'll be in trouble."

I stared at my brother, genuinely taken aback. "What?"

"I know you're upset," Zach stood up, his dark hair hiding his eyes. "And I'm honestly really sorry. It's just that if I don't go--"

"Why are you always..." I felt my eyes falter down to the ground. "Why did you bring my hopes up about hanging out, and then just...why?"

"Zoe, I thought I would be able to stay home tonight. I really did. But you have to understand, I really am sorry."

"Yeah," I muttered. "Okay. I'll see you tomorrow."

"We'll hang out another time, kid."

"Whatever." I responded, trudging back towards the stairs, the games still in my arms.

It's not a big deal, I told myself. It's just playing a couple games. Hanging out. Just chilling with my brother. Not a big deal at all.

And it wasn't as though I never saw him. I would see him right as he would leave for college, then for about an hour in the evening. We would say hi to each other, watch a T.V. show for a while, and then go our separate ways. I would go to my room, and he would go...wherever he went. Sometimes to his so-called "girlfriend." When I had a shift at the library, he would drop me on my way there. That was really as far as the extent of our familial relationship would go. Sure we loved each other as siblings, and sure he would lend me money, and I would work at the library to earn more money so we could afford things other than just rent and food, but...that was it.

So, now, when he finally said "let's be a real family and spend some time together," I couldn't blame him. That's all we were ever taught. Zach and I stuck together because we only had each other. But...was that really the only reason why?

I shook my head. I was thinking too far into this. It wasn't a big deal. It would never be a big deal. After all, that's what family did right?

We just went our separate ways.

"Hey, Zach," I stopped at the base of the staircase, not bothering to turn to look at him.

"Yeah?"

"Do you have a gun?"

A moment of silence passed between us, before he finally answered. "No. Why would you ask that?"

"Just wondering. "

Finally going up the stairs, I shook my head at Jared's words. 'He has a gun.'

...Did he though?

Author's Note

If you're following me on Wattpad, then the next chapter may come as a surprise to you... ;)

Please vote and/or comment if you think this chapter deserves it! Thank you for sticking with this book :)