74%

August 7

The lights are getting dimmer here, and it's growing harder and harder to ignore the darkness sweeping over the city. Mum says soon we won't have any light at all, but I don't believe her. I refuse to believe her.

Even with the Black Wave on our doorstep, school is still a painful vat of normalness. I get homework. I get assignments. Teachers hand out notifications for exams that we probably won't even get the chance to take before the dark takes over. It's hard to think that in less than a months time this system, this routine, could be reduced to nothing. You get so used to normal that when you learn you're about to lose it, it's impossible to comprehend.

I find myself thinking about this often. Surely the world will still be here and working when I sit my mid-year exams next month. Surely I'll still be here to witness the New Year, to reach my eighteenth birthday, to complete my schooling and graduate.

Now, more than anything else, I'm afraid. I can't come to terms with the fact that everything I know is ending and I can't do anything about it. I feel like I need to act, to do something that will at least help in this war against the dark. Otherwise I'm just sitting around on my arse, waiting for some miracle to fall from the heavens and into my lap.

I know there has to be some way out of this and I'm determined to find out what. Because I know that if the lights go out, we will too, and I can't find it in me to accept th

Shit, my bedroom light just flickered.