64%

August 8

Upper Division is a strange place - not strange as in unfamiliar, but strange as in quirky, unusual, confusing. Like, for example, they don't wear casual clothes there - it's always long, floor-scraping dresses for women and girls, and suits for men and boys - and they speak with funny, stuck-up-sounding accents, as if they're better than everyone around them.

They also, it seems, don't have a transport system, hence why it was such a trek to get there (even harder in the ridiculous beneath-the-knees dress and pair of kitten heels I was wearing to fit in). But somehow - and I have a feeling this had a lot to do with luck - I made it to the address written on the slip of paper just before 9pm.

And it's even more of a miracle that I made it there when you consider all I had to do to get out of the house. Not long after arriving home from Mia's place, I tried to convince my mother that it was a good idea to let me go back to stay the night. Of course, she was against it (what with the Black Wave and all). It was only after a good half-hours debating that she acquiesced, and even then it was a reluctant agreement.

And to make matters worse, I wasn't actually going to Mia's place, which proved rather problematic. When I first tried to walk out of the house, mum demanded to know why I wasn't bringing a pillow with me, or my toothbrush and toothpaste, which she held in her hand.

I smiled sheepishly, feigning surprise, and grabbed the items from her. "Gee, I totally forgot," I said.

She sent me a look that emanated suspicion, and I hurried off to fetch a pillow and other random supplies that I'd usually bring to a sleep over.

The second time I tried to leave, she questioned my choice of outfit. "Are you really going to wear that dress? And those heels?"

I nodded enthusiastically. "I never wear them. I figured I may as well get some use out of them while I still can."

Mum looked sceptical, but she let me go anyway, and I made my escape through the front door before she could change her mind. The only problems was, I was now carrying a pillow and a lofty bag full of sleepover supplies, and there was no way I was going to carry them across the city and into Upper Division.

With a sigh, I circled around to the back of the house and snuck back in through my bedroom window, hiding the items deep beneath my bed where I was certain mum wouldn't find them.

Then Avia showed up. "I thought you'd left for-"

Quickly I rushed over and held a hand to her mouth, shutting her up. She looked at me oddly as I placed a finger to my lips and slowly removed my hand. "Mum can't know I've come back," I whispered. "She thinks I'm on my way to Mia's place."

"Well aren't you?" she asked in a voice equally quiet. "You could have just told her you forgot something and come back in."

I shook my head. "I came back in to leave my stuff behind. There's no way I'm carrying it where I'm going."

"Where are you going?"

I shook my head again. "It doesn't matter. I have to go."

"Mia didn't invite you over for a sleepover, did she?"

I hesitated. "No, she didn't. But promise me you won't tell mum. She'd freak if she found out. I'd be grounded for the rest of my days."

Avia shrugged. "Which, according to you, are extremely numbered."

I ignored her jab at my belief in the Black Wave. "Just promise me, okay?"

"Okay, okay. I promise. But on one condition."

I heaved a sigh. "What?"

"You tell me where you went when you get back. You tell me what you did and what happened."

"Why do you care how I spend my time?"

"Consider me curious."

I groaned, albeit quietly. "Okay, fine. You keep this a secret, I'll tell you what this is."

She grinned, satisfied. "You can go now."

"Oh, gee, thanks. How kind of you for letting me leave my own room."

I turned away from her and made for the window. "You'll stay safe, won't you?" she asked as I began to step outside.

"Of course."

"You're not doing anything stupid?"

"Depends on your definition of stupid."

"Kiran..."

"No, I'm not," I lied. "Where I'm going, I'll be perfectly fine."

She let out a breath, relieved, and guilt stabbed at my heart. "Okay. I'll see you when you get home then."

I nodded. "See you then," I said, and then I slipped the rest of the way out the window and disappeared into the darkening day.

A/N

Sorry for not updating this more recently - to be honest, I've been a bit stuck for ideas. Luckily though, the next chapter is already in the works so it shouldn't be long before I update again.

And I'll tell you this: it's about to get verrry interesting ;)

- Shaye