Chapter 14

I threw my buzzing phone across the room. It hit the ground with a thud, which made the buzzing only louder and more annoying.

"They won't stop calling! Every magazine in the country wants to talk to me!"

I crumpled to my bedroom floor and rested my face in my hands. Josh slid down beside me and let out a long breath.

"I can't believe Ryan dragged your name through the mud like that. It makes me sick."

He slung his arm over my shoulder, pulling me close to him. My heart immediately dropped into my stomach when I realized what this all meant.

"Josh, we can't go out."

He planted a soft kiss on my temple."I know, Jenn. We can go tomorrow it's no big deal."

I chewed at my bottom lip. "No, I mean we can't go out on a date for a long time. With the media accusing me of this, and Ryan threatening to ruin my career, I can't let them think that this was all true by suddenly being together in public on a date."

He blinked, letting everything sink in. He managed to give me a weak smile, but I knew this had to be killing him inside because that's what it feels like for me right now.

"I'll do whatever you need me to do," he said. "If you need me as Josh, your best friend and only your best friend, that's what I'll be. And if you need me as something more I can do that too, just let me know and no matter what I'm not going anywhere."

How does he always know the right thing to say? I swear he has the soul of an old sweet man sometimes. Kind of like my grandfather.... wait what am I talking about?!

He caught my reaction. "What?"

I shook my head. "Sorry, the way you talk sometimes reminds me of my grandfather."

"I basically pour my heart out for you and meanwhile you're picturing me with grey hair and a unruly moustache?" He frowned.

"And a little bald spot right here," I patted the top of his head and we both chuckled.

He tucked a stray hair behind my ear and cupped my cheek in his hand. We paused before our lips touched breathing in each other's air. "Everything will be okay," he whispered.

I threw my arms around his neck and lost myself in his bubblegum breath and soft lips.

___________________________________________________________________________

My mom came home later that night. Josh and I spent the rest of the day lazing around the house, finally relaxing from our long haul of filming. I've yet to pick up my phone since I threw it earlier, and I don't plan on touching it until I'm ready to tell the world my side of the story. For now, Josh and I will keep whatever we've got going on in private, and let the rest of the world know we're just best friends.....for now.

"You too seem different." 

Mom noticed right away. Maybe it was the way we sat closer to each other as we watched a movie, or maybe it's because moms are basically Sherlock Holmes in disguise. 

She set down a plate of fresh chocolate chip cookies on the coffee table in front of us. A suspicious little half-smile curved on her lips, and Josh grinned the way he did when he got an A+ on a spelling test.

"Mom, we're trying to watch a movie," I sighed.

She looked at Josh then back at me. "Mmmhm, continue as you were." She swirled around back towards the kitchen.

"I believe this is where we were." Josh leaned forward, but the sound of a knock on our front door stopped him in his tracks. 

I struggled up from underneath the blanket and ran to get the door. My fists clenched when I saw who was on the other side.

"Hello, love."

The sound of Ryan's smug voice was like nails on a chalk board. I heard Josh get up immediately and was stepping out in front of me.

"She doesn't want to talk to you. You need to leave," his voice was stern.

His eyes twinkled in a mischievous way. "Oh come on Josh, I just want a minute alone with your girlfriend."

"Ryan, just leave me alone. You've done enough."

"Whatever you say, I'll come back later. Enjoy your slut, Josh." 

I gripped onto his arm, but it was too late. His fist met Ryan's face before I could stop him. A faint shade of purple circled his eye as he swung back. 

"Guys, quit it!" I yelled trying to get them apart.

Josh brushed himself off. His face looked in tact so that was a good thing. "Yeah you're right Jenn. He's not worth it anyways."

Ryan laughed. "Boy, you'll regret doing that." He rubbed at his swollen eye and walked down the driveway.

"Come on let's just go to bed." 

His tense jaw muscles were twitching as he took my hand in his. I felt his raw knuckles rub against my fingers. I couldn't believe Ryan had the nerve to come over to my house on the first night I was home. What did he mean by Josh would regret doing what he did? The dude is full of lies anyways, so I don't really care.

I sent Josh upstairs while I grabbed some ice for his hand from the freezer. Mom saw the headlines on the magazine from earlier, so she knew what was going on.

She wrapped her hands around a hot cup of tea. "Well, Sweetie, is it true?"

"Mom, you know I wouldn't cheat on anyone!" I slumped onto the kitchen chair beside her.

"I know that, but I mean are the rumours true about you and Josh. Are you.....more than friends?"

The heat raised in my cheeks and I felt them flush.

"Yes.... No......I don't know! We kind of kissed while filming, and then kissed some more." Her face was beaming.

"Then we were in this really good place at moving forward with whatever it was, and it wasn't weird mom, it really wasn't! Now this happened and it ruined everything."

She couldn't wipe the smile off her face. "Oh, Jennifer. You have no idea how happy this makes me! Nothing is ruined, you still have each other and always will. If you have to keep things on the down low in public then so be it, it will all work out in the end."

I suppose she is right. She always is. I reached over and gave her a hug, squeezing her tight.

"I missed you mom, thanks."

"No problem, Sweetie. Now go get some sleep, you'll have a clearer head in the morning."

I pushed my chair back and headed out of the kitchen.

"Oh, and Jennifer? Should I make Josh sleep on the couch now?" she winked.