Chapter 5

It was pretty late when we got back to Ryan’s house, after waiting for him to finish up at the arena, to stopping for ice cream on the way home. Not to mention, he still had to pack for leaving tomorrow. I sat on his bed, scrolling aimlessly through my phone until he was almost finished. I couldn’t hold back my yawns any longer, so I asked for a pair of PJ’s so I could get ready for bed. He tossed me a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.

I didn’t realize how exhausted I was until I looked at my reflection in the bathroom. The one thing that would make this perfect day even better was a good night’s sleep, especially since the radio interview was bright and early in the morning.

I finished up in the bathroom, and then we swapped places as Ryan went to get ready.

I was already in bed when he came out, and close to almost being asleep. I felt him slide under the covers, wrapping his arms around me.

“You’re beautiful,” he whispered.

A smile crept upon my lips.

He kissed my cheek and made trail of kisses until he rolled me over to face him so he could kiss my lips. He shifted and his body was soon covering mine.

“Ryan,” I breathed against his kiss.

“Mmm?”

“I can’t…”

He stopped.

“Why not?” His voice was cold and harsh.

“It’s just… not the time,” I stammered.

He groaned, “When is it ever going to be the right time with you, Jen?”

Ryan rolled off of me and rubbed his hands over his face in frustration.

I could feel my muscles tense up. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

He threw his hands in the air. “Every time I try, you just shut me down!” He snapped.

“So, wait one minute,” I struggled to sit up. “You’re using me?”

“No! It’s just that it’s been 4 months, it’s just kind of expected!”

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and began to gather my things.

“What are you doing?” He asked.

“Sky diving,” I said sarcastically. “I’m leaving, obviously.”

I shut myself in the bathroom before he could say anymore, and I changed back into my clothes from the concert. I flew the door back open once I was finished and headed straight to the door, throwing his PJs at him on my way past. He got up and ran after me down the stairs, and stopped me at the front door.

He held onto the doorknob. “Jen, come on. Think about what you’re doing.”

“Okay, I’m thinking….” I folded my arms over my chest.

“And?”

“Take me home.”  He knew better than to argue with me anymore. He dragged himself up the stairs to get the car keys.

The car ride was silent until we reached my house. By this time it was already the early hours of the morning.

“Don’t go,” he pleaded.

I hopped out of the car and turned around to look at him. His face was flashing with regret; I would feel sorry for him if I didn’t know any better.

“I think it’s best if we don’t see each other anymore,” I closed the car door before he had the chance to say anything else, and walked into my house.