Chapter 1

Three months have gone by since Josh left for Spain and they’ve been the longest three months of my life. It’s hard to keep in contact when there is a nine hour time difference between us. We usually find time to Skype when he’s getting ready for bed because that would be mid-afternoon for me, but a lot of the time he’s too exhausted or I’m busy. Little texts are sent throughout the day and that’s the one thing that has stayed solid. He promised to text every day and he’s never failed to come through for me. One day he even had Johnny call me, talk about star struck!

There have been some changes in my life, as well, within these three months. By changes, I mean that I have a new guy in my life, Ryan Steele. He is a musician from right here in Los Angeles and I met him through a mutual friend just weeks after Josh left. He asked me out to dinner the next night and I remember how nervous I was, pacing back and forth in my bedroom wondering what I should wear. It was 8:30 p.m. and I was praying that Josh would be awake for an early morning of filming. I quickly grabbed my phone and texted that familiar number.

Are you awake?? I sent to Josh.

Barely….what’s up?

SOS. Skype me!

A minute didn’t even go before ‘Josh Hutcherson is calling’ appeared on my computer screen followed by the incoming call ringtone. I stood before my laptop, rocking back and forth on my toes when Josh appeared before me. He was slumped in bed with half closed eyes and ruffled hair, I couldn’t help but giggle at his sleepy state.

He rubbed his eyes. “What’s the emergency? “

 “I have a date.”  I said before coughing out a nervous laugh.

His eyebrows shot half way up his forehead. “Well shut the front door! Look at you, replacing me already,” he teased.

“Shut up! I need your help, what should I wear?”

I rummaged through my closet, modeling different outfits in front of my laptop screen. Josh would give his honest opinions, such as “Are you going on a date, or are you going on the red carpet?”, “Seriously, Jenn? Those boots make you look like a hooker.”, “Purple is so not your color.”

Then somewhere after my tenth outfit he said “finally! That’s the one. You look great, but not too overdone.”

I smiled at my casual look.  A pair of dark wash skinny jeans, and a dressy forest green tank top. We agreed to leave my hair in its natural state, which are soft waves that go past my shoulders.

“So who’s the lucky guy?” Josh asked as I made the finishing touches to my makeup.

“Ryan Steele. He’s a musician that is friends with Emily. You know, the girl with the bright red hair?”

Josh laughed. “I know exactly who you mean, but I need to go now. Good luck on your date! Remember, be yourself. Well, not exactly yourself, because between you and me, you’re a little bit crazy.” He held up his thumb and index finger and put a little bit of space between them.

If he were here right now I would’ve clapped him on the shoulder, but instead I just fired a glare into the webcam. “Gee thanks, asshole,” I laughed. “I’ll text you when I’m done.”

“You better! Be good, Jennifer!” He smirked.

“Yes, mom…” I rolled my eyes and hung up the video call.

With the little pep talk from Josh, the date went without a hitch. We went out on a few more dates after that one, until he asked me to be his girlfriend. I’ve only had one official boyfriend, three years ago, but that didn’t last long. This was a big deal for me!