Chapter One: Detention

• Dedicated to Shelly Joyce Sardiña Valerio

We were driving past that familiar fork in the road. My mom said that if I hurried up, I could still make it to class.

“Mom, you know I don’t want to see Zayn looking like this.” I complained. I hope she understands.

You might be wondering who Zayn is, well, he’s just my best friend from way back when we were still in diapers. Hahaha

“Oh, Kara, you know he won’t care about whatever your appearance is. That boy likes you for who you are.” 

“Mom! He doesn’t like me like that. Gross!” but deep inside I wished she was right.

Last summer, a lot has changed, especially with him. He auditioned for X factor and got in. So he was kind of flying further away from me. He gained more friends aside from me. And he became so much more popular. Too much, that he forgot to respond to my emails when I was in Europe.

“You know more about him than anyone in this whole town, Kara and you know I’m right.” 

“Yeah, sure, whatever, Mom. I’m late, I have to go.” I kissed her on the cheek and dot out of the car.

“Be careful! And say hi to Zayn for me!” I heard her saying on the background. But I had more important things to do.

I ran to my first class which was also what I hated the most: Algebra. And yes, it hates me too.

When I got to the door, I took a deep breath and went inside.

“Nice for you to decide to join our class, Miss—what’s you’re name?” the stingy professor asked.

“Waters, Kara Mia. Kara Mia Waters., Sir.” I nervously answered.

“Well. Miss Waters… This class is nearing its end and if you continue being late you will miss a lot of things. And that will reflect on your grades. So to help you reflect on that; you’ll get detention after class. Now take your seat” he pointed at the last seat at the back and I grimaced when I saw the seat was beside Stacie Ernshaw. One of Zayn’s new “bestfriends”.

“Hi Kara! I’m Stacie, oh, as if you don’t already know that.” She offered her hand and laughed annoyingly.

That bitch, ignoring me most of our school years and now she’s talking to me just because I was Zayn’s bestfriend.

And with that thought, I ignored her hand.

 “Ookay… So how was your summer?” Now she’s acting like we’re close. I wish I could just cram my algebra books down her throat. I bet even that couldn’t stop her from talking.

“Europe was great.” Was all I said, and thank God it shut her up.

The classes went by smoothly, and still I didn’t see Zayn. I still had detention after class so I can’t go to his house. As if he’ll be there. Maybe he’ll be out partying with his newfound friends.

Lunch was very lonely. I didn’t have anyone to eat with. So I had my food to go and ate at the garden. At least I had the birds to accompany me.

The last two classes were uneventful and boring. I was almost looking forward to detention so I could sleep.

At the end of my class a guy I had Spanish with approached me and asked if he could drive me home.

“No, thanks, my mom’s gonna fetch me and I still have detention. Sorry.” I apologized.

“Its okay, Maybe some other time.” He gave me a cheesy smile. “I’m Jake, by the way. Kara Mia.” I was surprised he knew my name. I was mostly invisible during class.

“Yeah, Maybe”

I’m glad that made him go away. Actually, my mom wasn’t going to drive me home coz’ she’ll be at the airport getting our other packages.

I was going to walk home. Or meet with you know who.

 A big DETENTION sign was at the door. And when I opened it only one guy was inside.

I would know him anywhere.