Chapter Two: Phone Call

“Look who decided to finally show up” he said, as if I was the not being in touch.

“Yeah, on such a great venue at that.” I said, mocking him.

“So… what are you in here for?” of all the things that he could have asked me.

“I was late in my first class.” Thanks to you. 

“Aww. That sucks. I was late too.” Why? Because you were flirting with that skank, Stacie?

“Why are you giving me that look?” he asked. As if he already knew why, “Oh this?” he tousled his now spiky updo.

“Yeah.” I confirmed. “Why’d you change your hairstyle?” 

“My stylist said this was more “now” than my sloppy bangs.”

I laughed. “So you have a stylist now?” 

“Yeah, a lot of things have changed ever since you left, Kara.” 

A lot of things were left unsaid that day. 

I should have told him how I really felt about him, and understood him for losing communication. But no, I ended up being such an epic failure.

We walked home together, just like old times. But I did not feel anything special like I did before. Maybe he walked home a lot of girls home when I was gone, him being popular and all that.

When I got home, he just said goodbye and didn’t even stay for a minute.

But at least, he called.

“Hello?” 

“It’s me.” He said.

“Oh, Why did you call?” 

“What’s with you?” he accusingly said.

“Huh?”

“I said, What’s with you.” He repeated.

“What’s with me? You’re the one who’s changed so much and yet you’re the one asking me?” I couldn’t help but say.

“Me? You’re the one who’s been ignoring me.” What?  “I was late earlier coz’ I waited for you at our meeting place. But you I didn’t see even a shadow.

“Well, you never told me you’d be waiting since you’ve never replied to any of my emails!” I knew I should keep my cool. But I just can’t help it.

“Is all this just because of that? That I never responded to your emails? I was busy auditioning for X Factor! Where my only best friend didn’t appear in!”

“You knew I had to go to Europe.  I told you it was very important. I had to meet my dad in Belgium.”

“What? You never told me anything like that!” 

“I know I’m sorry. I just didn’t think I should tell you.” I explained.

“Kara Mia, what happened to “no hiding secrets”?” he asked.

“I’m sorry, I should have told you. But I never had to courage to bring it up.” I answered.

“I would have understood that, Kara. But you chose to torment me for two long months.” I knew he was disappointed. But I didn’t know what to do.

“I’m so sorry. I just didn’t want you to worry while you were auditioning.”

“Yeah, as if you actually cared about that. You didn’t want to to go, right? And I almost didn’t, thanks to you. But then, you left me. That’s why I decided to go.” I could hear his sobs in the other line. “Please, Kara… I want my Karabear back.