Two

(Sock's POV)

Jonathan. Jonathan. Jonathan... I like that name. I floated on over to the bus stop, seeing the big winner. Yeah, 'cause getting to get bugged by me is definitely a win. Right. I stared at him, admiring his headphones and pretty face. Damn.

I kept staring at him, getting lost in the moment before I saw his head snap toward me. ABORT! I immediately turned my head, and from the corner of my eye I saw his eyes narrow. Bad first impressions, God, why do you exist?!

I followed him onto the bus, and watched him take his seat. Then I just stared. And stared. And stared. Finally he rolled his eyes and moved his bag in a "Get the hell away from me" manner. But I never take no for an answer!

I plopped down beside him, smiling at him. But he just ignored me and kept playing his music.

"Hey kid."

The voice made me jump, and I looked to my left, seeing none other than Mephistopheles sitting across the aisle.

"Why is he ignoring me?" I scoffed.

Mephistopheles just shrugged. "Uh.. 'cause he's disillusioned with humanity? I mean he is a teenager."

"Can he see me?"

Mephistopheles leaned back, put his arms behind his head, and closed his eyes. "He can, they can't."

"Can he see you?"

"Nope."

"Can he hear us?"

"He can hear you. You're talking to yourself."

I turned back to Jonathan. "Wha-? Nuh-uh! He's wearing headphones!"

When I turned to Mephistopheles, my eyes widened. He was gone. Dammit.

I followed Jonathan around all day, watching everything he did. He glanced at me occasionally. Every time he did, my heart fluttered. 9 to 5, huh?

I smiled at him every time he looked my way, and I could see his eyes weren't as half-lidded as before. Shit.. I don't want to lose my job..

"I'm Sock." I finally said to him during lunch. His eyes widened and he stopped chewing. I held my hand out and he just looked at it.

"Jonathan.." He said hesitantly, before trying to grab my hand. His hand just went right through me, and his eyes went wide again. He stared at me is if I were an alien. I just giggled, which made him sigh.

I followed him all the way home that day, watching the way he slouched. Kid doesn't like people I guess. I followed him to his door, stopping a few feet away from it. He went inside and slammed it hard.

I hung my head, pouting and floating away.

Can I ever win your heart, Jonathan..?