Three

(Jonathan's POV)

"Jonathan? Darling? Is everything all right? You've been acting strangely lately.." Mother asked, placing her hands on my shoulders. It had been a week since that stupid kid started following me around.

I tensed up. "I'm fine, mother.." I groaned, gripping my sandwich tight in frustration.

"Kid talks to himself. He's crazy!" My dad growled, and my mom snapped her head at him.

"He is not! He's just a teenager with a wide imagination!"

"He's crazy, woman!"

I slammed my hands on the table and stood up, putting my headphones on my head and grabbing my sandwich. I went up to my room and slammed the door.

"I've been waiting for ya!" Came that same girly voice that made me jump every time. I didn't turn on my music in time..

I looked over, seeing that all-too-familiar face. "Sock, now's not the time." I said, flopping down on my bed. He sat down at my feet and looked at me.

"Is something wrong, Jonathan?"

I looked at him. "Nothing's wrong. And why do you care so much about every little thing I do?!"

He looked away and blushed. "I.. uh.. umm.. I.."

I sighed, turning away from him and taking a bite out of my sandwich. My eyes widened as I felt him come over my shoulder, looking me directly in the eyes. "Tell me what's wrong Jonathan."

I groaned. "Fine! You wanna know the problem?! It's you! You're the problem! Because of you, everybody thinks I'm crazy!" I yelled, and I could see the hurt in his eyes. He looked down, tears forming in his eyes, threatening to spill.

"I- I'm sorry Jonathan.." He said, sniffing. He got up, floated through my wall, and was gone.

I sighed in relief, finished my sandwich, and lay there. I turned on some Valhalla Soundbox and closed my eyes.

Then, for some reason, I felt a sense of... loss.

(Sock's POV)

"So, Sock, you're finally getting somewhere!" Mephistopheles grinned, putting an arm around my shoulders. I looked down at the floor.

"Sock? Something wrong, kid? Do you not wanna do this? Because if you don't I mean we can switch you over to the hall of crippling phobias.."

"Nothing's wrong." I said, wriggling away from under his arm.

The next day I waited for Jonathan at the bus stop. The bus zoomed right past me. About five minutes later he ran up, a piece of toast hanging out of his mouth.

"You're late!"

He gave me a dirty look. "I hate you."

I smirked, but I noticed he seemed a bit different today than usual. My eyes widened as he turned around. "You know what? I'm skipping today." He said, stuffing his hands in his pockets and walking back to his house. I floated behind him. "Jonathan..?"

He had his headphones turned all the way up. I gulped, going over and stopping him, pulling off his headphones. "You're skipping because of me, huh..?" I asked, looking down.

"Yeah. I want to ask you a few things." He said, grabbing my wrist and running back to his house. He led me up to his room, closing the door, before coming over and looking me in the eye.

"What are you?"

"I.. uh.. I'm a demon.. and I'm here to haunt you..? Wait, no, that was terrible.."

"So you're really a ghost?"

"Demon."

"Huh." He said, stepping back and examining me from head to toe. "Why do you always wear that hat?"

I blushed, looking away. I should try to change the subject..

"So.. whatcha listenin' to?"

"Valhalla Soundbox."

"Never heard of 'em."

"Really? You're unbelievable." He smirked, pulling off his headphones and holding them out to me. Is he actually..? I gulped, sighing before pulling off my hat. My big mess of hair sprung out. His eyes widened and he covered his mouth, bursting into laughter. I blushed and pulled my hat back on, and he set his headphones down.

He went over to a drawer, pulling it open and grabbing a pair of earbuds. He plugged them into his phone, put one in his ear, then slid the other up under my hat and into my ear. He smiled at me, and I blushed.

We sat down on his bed like that for a while. He sang all the words to every song, and I looked at him, amazed. After a while, I decided to be brave. I snuggled under his arm, resting my head on his thigh. He put his hand on my shoulder and smiled. "Sock?"

"Yeah Jonathan?"

"You suck at your job."